Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Extended dial gauge pointer/stylus

Grim Reaper

I want to make some extended dial gauge pointers/styli to use when setting up valve lift, DVA's webpage mentions using tig wire.

Not having a TIG welder I do not have any of this to hand.

Can anyone tell me what type/diameter wire I should be looking for (1.6/2.4/3.2) and what the thread size is on a typical dial gauge end so I can find a tap to thread it so it will screw in in place of the existing tips?

Or could I buy some threaded rod to do the same thing? Again I need a thread spec.

I bought some 2.3mm brass rod form a local tool shop and filed/sanded the business end hemispherical so that it slides smoothly on the surface being measured. Thread was 2.5 x .45mm which fits okay but may not be exactly correct. Model engineering suppliers are good for these sorts of materials.

I made up a selection of lengths for various jobs, a long one to find TDC and shorter to suit measuring valve lift on the 16 valve C20XE Vx. (you need at least two gauges to do this job).

I still have a piece of the rod I used. It's 2.4mm and carries the marking "FA4316 3081" (I think -- it's none too clear). I got it from the local steel stockist. IIRC, I didn't cut a thread in the rod, but simply let it cut its own by screwing it carefully into the gauge.

JV

I'm not sure you'll find a digital gauge any less variable than the analogue as the underlying mechanism is the same. Its most important that the end of the measuring rod is smoothly rounded so it can slide easily on the surface. Also, the gauge must be mounted so that its movement is in precisely the same direction as the cam follower, piston etc and doesn't have to slide. Takes a bit of setting up but, once its done, most of the measurement errors/problems go away.

Went to Halfords, asked if they sold spokes.. 'What do you want them for?' (like they are under the counter items or something?)

I produce one of my dial test gauges.. 'for this!'

'What's that for?'

'Measuring things!'

'Oh, 50p each.'

'I'll take three'... and they fit perfectly.

Thank you Blatchat!