Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alternator update - K Series

David Lynch

Anyone successfully converted early 1.4 16v A127-55amp alternator arrangement to later K series variant? Mine is hanging off a now knackered bracket YLU10089 with poor tensioner.

Caterham only list YLU101430 which looks like a good starting point given keeps alternator captive.

Looking for all part numbers (I have looked at diagrams on Rimmer Bros' but for correct Alternator, bolts, tensioner/adjuster, pulley et al. Then it's Scrapper and Ebay time.

Early alternator solid but huge and previous owner and my bodges must finally be made good *smile*

Want something reliable to take car on a serious tour.

Ta, David

I was in the same position as you, having an unreliable, wobbly and misaligned belt running with a Lucas A127 alternator and 1400 single crank pulley. It did my head in hearing the belt squeal after each track session because the bolts kept unwinding themselves from the ropey threads in the bracket.

I have, touch wood, now managed to make the install work properly using a replacement YLU101430 bracket, bolts of the right spec, dowels in the right place and a shimmed alternator pulley so that the belt runs perfectly and doesn't get shredded. The bracket is no longer unavailable new but ask some friendly scrappers with old Metros and Rover 214s; I paid a tenner for mine.

I agree that an A127 weighs a tonne though, which doesn't help with stress on the mounting hardware. Both Powerlite and Brise do direct A127 replacements, which are about 3kgs and £200-odd compared to ~5kgs for a standard A127. I have no direct experience with either of these, but would like one in the future to dump some weight.

A friend has a spare 1400 bracket and I think I have a spare 1400 tensioner if you'd like to continue running the 1400 bits.

Good luck! *smile*

Cheers Mankee

Yes I would like to use smaller/lighter alternator not least as the A127 is a pig to get in and out and only a few mm clear of chassis rail. May even be room for a heat shield too? Just ordered a YLU101430 bracket off Ebay.

I'd say ideal is keep the 4V engine pulley and possibly even transfer the guarded fan and pulley off the A127 onto a smaller lighter unit though most parts are easy/cheap from Rimmer's. My biggest mistake after first failure (5 months after I got the car) was not fitting a proper sliding tensioner (always been simple nut and bolt) and also I put up with previous owners bodge of two bolts off upper bracket (i.e. rear not floating properly). They ultimately failed making it almost impossible to remove the alternator itself. It took a Dremel, safety specs and over 20 cutting discs. Never again.

Anyone got suitable Alternator part numbers ?

Maybe not suitable for this application, but when I replaced the unit on my 1.8k last year, blatchat pointed me towards an eBay crowd (Rover Spares?) who supplied a genuine, new replacement for about £80 - close enough to some of the refurb prices I'd heard to make it a no brainer.