Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing/Reusing K Series Pistons

garybee

I have a 1400k in my garage that I'm intending to rebuild as a 1600 with pistons/liners from an 1800. Does anyone have any experience of removing K Series pistons from 'rods in a way that will allow thier reuse? This makes sense only due to getting it all V cheap of course.

Thanks in advance

Gary

• Leadership Team

IIRC Oily (DVA) made up a "jig" to enable removal.

However .... are you sure your 1400 will be suitable for the swap? Most 1400K's used by Caterham were a slightly different engine and it's not possible to interchange the liners, you'd therefore need a complete engine.

Stu.

If your block has 'X' pattern ribbing on the outside then it cannot be converted.

I have a mol that exactly fits the 1800/1600 piston and allows safe removal, however re-use of the interference fit in the small end is hit and miss and can result in the gudgeon pins coming out.

If the pistons. Isn't properly supported when removing it will distort or crack, even if safely removed the gudgeon pin boss on the inside will distort a little and nip the gudgeon pin so this will need a hone/ream/ adjustment to correct it.

I have a box of new pistons here with only the centre rings, these are surplus to requirements if you wanted a set. It would save you the bother of removing a set.

Oily

Thanks for the information guys. I'd forgotten that some of the 1400 blocks were different (top-hung liners).

Here is a picture of the engine I have. I can't find any pictures of blocks with 'X pattern ribbing' (so I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for) but it looks like mine is ok for swapping to the larger bore. Is this correct?

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Garybee_album/20140103_141151_zps63d1a4d8.jpg

This engine is from a very late Rover 25. I'm guessing that that makes it more likely to be upgradeable that a 'Caterham' 1400.

Oily - thanks very much for your offer, I'd like to take you up on that. Is there any chance you would be able to mail me a set please and how many beer tokens can I supply you with for the pistons/trouble?

Edited by - garybee on 3 Jan 2014 18:59:49