Click here if you are having website access problems ×

get cool

g7esp

The first thing to do is to cover the black powder coated alloy panels at the end of the footwell and in the transmission tunnel with reflective heat insulation.

A ceramic coating on the exhaust manifold should help too, but I haven't needed to try that.

Duncan

Edited by - DJ. on 14 Dec 2013 19:44:55

The biggest issue is getting the heat out of the footwell. One of the guys here fitted a boat deck vent on his door flap. It looks a bit odd but shovels air into the cabin. If you are not in a rainy climate you could try something at the front end of the footwell

Insulate the footwell ends and first half of the tunnel, CC offer a kit for these, or bay a sheet and make your own, then lag the primaries with 2" exhaust wrap overlapping approx. 50% and wired into place.

There are many views, pros and cons or lagging primaries - but it makes a significant difference in heat transmission into the cockpit, more so than anything else in my experience.

Getting the heat out is part of the problem, on my car the piece of trim around the gearstick has been replaced with a mesh material that lets a surprising amount of heat out and I'm sure helps keep things cool

Didn't someone discover that bending the rear edge of the bonnet up leaving a gap helped a lot as well? not pretty but it works.

Edited by - rgrigsby on 14 Dec 2013 21:49:59

Quoting John Milner: 
If the car has a heater check the valve is not set to slightly open when it should be closed.

*thumbup* This is a point well made, I suffered the same issue (not that I'd really noticed it) until it was noticed and fixed on a trip to Automotive Engineering (run by jj48 of this parish).