Click here if you are having website access problems ×

URGENTISH... Adjusting cycle wings

MK07FUN

Just fitted winter tyres, and the clearance to the outside edge of the cycle wings is alarmingly small now.

Anyone ever managed to bend their wings up a mill or two, and if so... and practical tips? ... if it's doable, can I just do it the caveman way and yank the wings with them fitted to the car (without cracking the carbon or bending the suspension etc?)

If you can take the wings off, the simple way is to put a rod (or strong Philips screwdriver) in the end of the tube and bend up a bit.

I have also done it with wings on using stilsons to bend the upright tube from the side (with wheels off and plenty of padding on the tube.

Don't put any pressure on the wings them selves, though..

Eek - saw you near the Gyle on my way in to work mid-week. Where are you based? I'm out at South Queensferry these days with my two sevens - there are plenty of others hidden around here too...

Fwiw, my normal tyres tend to be very close to the stays and I've tried to bend them myself before. Gave up and let the tyre graze off a little rubber instead...

Tucked away in the new town ... Seven's my daily drive, so the Gyle commute's one of my five a day! The winter tyres have turned it into a tail happy animal by the way, so give me a wide berth if you see me heading towards you on anything other than an arrow straight length of Tarmac!

Don't s'pose that's your gunmetal grey / black stripes seven is it?