Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Click i may have a plug and play MFR solution

GF04RCE

Following on from Andrews (Revillas) excellent article on resolving the K Click and coming over to investigate and test a solution for those of us with the elusive extra wire, I have ended up with a few redundant MFRs.

Armed with my copy of low flying I therefore proceeded to open up an MFR, cut away the PCB board and relays and much to my joy drop two standard relays very neatly into the casing. Some crimping time later and some imaginative use of inline connectors I have now replicated the solution, which can be easily adjusted for those with the wire or without. I have also been able to incorporate the direct battery feed that I personally needed due to the voltage drops I have been experiencing. (although it is causing a nasty battery drain so had to fit an isolator, which as I write i realise i have not undone since using the seven yesterday so am likely to have a flat battery again... Doah! )

So in summary i now have an MFR with two relays that can operate as a straight plug replacement for the existing one without having to cut or splice any wires....

Next steps:

1) I need someone to test it.... as i cut my plugs off when we did it, so looking for a volunteer... *wavey*

2) I intend to create a picture PDF to share wih you all of how to make the MFR mod and what you need.... Could take some time to get around to sorry...

3) I am also talking with Motorhogs (Breakers who provided such excellent support when i recently dismantled the CSR at their facility in Doncaster) about getting a batch of MFRs. The intention will be to build some up and offer them on here to contribute to the GF04RCE upgrade fund....for those that don't want to start pulling apart MFRs, which is actually the hardest part of the process.

If you could be interested in joining me as Guinea Pig and within reasonable distance of Peterborough please drop me a Blatmail... you can keep the fitted MFR of course....

If you could be interested in a new modified MFR for your K series then log your interest on this thread and I will get crimping *smile* as for price no idea yet, depends on the MFR costs mostly and what a fair price would be for an amateur solution that will have as much of a guarantee as if you had cut and plugged it together yourself.... I am happy to build a batch as once set up i think the build should be quite quick.... ( famous last words )

The PDF i will make generally available once I have written it...

all the best

David M

*smile*

Yes, but as I have never had much joy at attaching images on here, drop me a blatmail and I will send you a set of photos showing the prototype and the full replacement internals.... if someone else is then able to post them up that would really help....

As you will see its fairly simple, its just the connectors on the smaller plug that are a bit tricky, although I am working on a better solution with a smaller spade connector for this...

David M

Thanks John for putting the pictures up.... *smile*

Saving the tabs on the case is the trickiest bit but I have developed a rather neat technique using a couple of gripper clamps that works a treat... I just need to revise the wire lengths so that it closes up a bit easier....

I think i have a tester, I am just waiting for some pictures to confirm their current configuration... And any mods that may have already been done....

David M

*smile*

Sorry, this may be an obvious question, but in the photos are there two sets of relays and connectors and what is the difference between the two? It had recently become a subject close to my heart and am investigating all the info on Blatchat.

Jon

Edited by - JonL on 30 Sep 2013 22:03:42

I created a prototype using the relay connector tails, then replicated this with direct links. The mini spade connectors look like a winner which should tidy things up, but i havn't heard back from my potential supplier of mfr's.

I have started the pdf explanation but am nervous about this being an amature solution, but will fill it with disclaimers I guess

I could do with someone within reasonable distance of Peterborough that has an EU3 K series seven that has not had any modifications to the MFR, to try a straight swap test as i have not done this yet...

David M

Hi John, sorry but I havn't looked at an EU2 solution yet and not sure what the differences would be yet.

Charlie is absolutely right about it being a number of different things, the MFR is just one, along with cleaning out the solenoid, changing the main battery cables and identifying if there is a voltage drain in your loom.

The MFR change does however provide the opportunity to run a direct link from the Battery which sorts out the voltage drain issue.

David M