Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Annoying tunnel noise?

CPS7

Developed a v annoying noise from around the tunnel (I think, as a bit hard to pin down). Heard when moving (in or out or gear), appears worse over uneven surfaces. Doesn't sound mechanical to me, more link a cable or something slapping ali skin?

Leather tunnel cover and carpeted, so hard to investigate from there, though feels like it may have inspection hole under the carpet, drivers side. Not sure I'll see much from underneath the car. 2005 1.8 k series roadsport.

Any thoughts please?

You can see just as much (more really) from under the car as with the tunnel top removed :)

Does the flapping increase/decrease with speed?

It's pretty unlikely to be something loose in the tunnel, but pretty easy to check.

Don't forget to use axle stands when you're under there!

Does the reversing light switch come out at the back of the gbox underneath? I think in may be the electrical connection box that is loose and knocking? Sound about right to anyone? How/where is it supposed to be attached. Not keen under there even on axle stands. *eek*

Hi,

After my rebuild I acquired an irritating tunnel noise, squeaky sound a bit like a dry hose rubbing.

As yours only really noticable when moving, not engine revs dependant or indeed road speed particularly.

Tracked it down to the alloy tunnel cover "fretting" on the tunnel itself. As I have all new panels I spotted 2 or 3 places where there were dark rub marks on the alloy. I have applied duct tape around the edges/contact faces of the tunnel cover and the noise has gone.

Hope this helps.

Phil