Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lubricating belt buckle

Roger Ford

I find my Caterham/Luke six-point harness quit hard to do up sometimes. I really struggle to get the top belt through the crotch strap end and locked into the buckle - at least, when everything's tight enough I do. If I loosen everything off it's much easier.

I wondered about putting some powdered graphite lube into the buckle to make things easier. Is that a bad idea?

I've wondered about using candle wax, but never tried it... Would be interested if there is an answer!

D'oh didn't read it properly... I'm thinking straps not tightening/loosening easily. Although candle wax might work in the buckle as well, you can use it on chains ok...

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 22 Aug 2013 11:33:27

Quoting Paul Deslandes: 
no harm in trying, its just a spring loaded plunger system. Unless it would give you problems with the scrutineers, you might be able to remove the back plate to clean it up and lightly re-grease. I find that sometimes I'm not putting the tab in straight which makes it difficult.

I think that's the problem, because I'm pushing it through the end of the crotch strap, which is trying to pull it sideways, it's hard to line it up straight. But some lube might well help.