Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spark Plug Gap - Sigma Engine

Mark Gibson

Hi.

Just fitting new spark plugs in my Sigma 125 engined car for the first time. Picked up replacement AYFS22CB plugs from Ford today but wanted to know what the gaps should be. I have searched Blatchat and only found one very old comment that they should be 13thousands - not sure if this correct?

I guess one option would be to measure the gaps in the ones I take out because the car was running sweetly before hand!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

I would check what your existing ones are - if they have the 'code' written on the body you will be able to look up the gap they were supplied with - CC may do something different to the standard ford product? My sigma plugs have a 1mm gap, but not sure they are original plugs as I have had some work done on it! good luck

Typical plug gaps for fuel injected, electronic ignition cars are in the range of 0.7 to 1.3mm with 1mm being typical. That equates to 28 to 52 thou, 40 thou in the middle. Generally larger gaps in modern engines compared with older cars with points and condensers, allows for better flame propagation and more complete combustion.

Toby - I bought the car (2008 academy car) in Dec 2012 and have now done 3 test days, 2 qualifying sessions, 4 races (well 3.1 races after my 2nd lap crash at Brands 😳), 2 curborough sprints and 1 trip to work!!

Basically, I have no idea how long any of the bits have been on the car so thought it sensible to change them so I can then reset the clock.

As Ray says, brand new plugs got to be worth at least a second round Cadwell in September 😬 More importantly, my good lady wife should be competing in the car next at Curborough in August so everything must be perfect 🥰

Mark