Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil cooler on Vaux XE?

Gary-Cornwall

Ian,

To avoid having to weld a boss onto the wet sump, I got a new sump plug and had it drilled and tapped to take a standard water temp. sender. I will now connect this as recommended by Dave Kimberly through an on/on switch on the dash so I can switch between water and oil temps. on the existing water temp. guage.

Paul

I had serious low oil pressure problems on my 16v VX on the track until I fitted a cooler. All the experts (!!!) said it wasn't necessary but it made the difference between 60psi and 20psi-and-falling. If the problem wasn't temperature it could be that the extra capacity of the cooler and external oil filter improved the availability of oil to the engine which runs on wet sump with foam insert. Either way, the cooler did the trick and no more anxious moments!!

I don't run a cooler and have carbs at the mo'.

My wet sump system ran at max 90 degrees.

The Dry sump system I have now runs with more oil etc and hits about 85 degrees max.

Both in lap after lap track conditions.

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

Paul

Think Automotive in Isleworth have everything including the cooler, external cartridge oil filter, sandwich plates, temperature takeoff if needed, hoses etc. I can't remember the prices but as I did the job three years ago they have probably changed anyway.

Best is to look at their website www.thinkauto.com. I mounted my cooler in front of the rad using ally brackets that I made up and bolt onto the radiator av mounts. Had to use a slightly shorter av mount to avoid fouling the grill. Other wise pretty easy to fit apart from the filter which was a b....r! If you decide to go ahead email me at pauldeslan@aol.com and I will email you some digi pics of my installation.

That's very interesting John 'cos I think that may bear out my theory that lack of oil, or rather, lots of it in the wrong place, may be the cause rather than temperature. The interesting thing was that the pressure would drop after a moderate period of high sustained revs, e.g. Lavant straight at Goodwood, and return to normal very quickly after slowing down. Having since fitted an oil temp gauge it is obvious that the oil temperature takes far longer to cool down than would account for the rapid recovery in pressure. Paul, I would try John's tank method first, or fit an oil temp gauge to be sure that temp is the real problem, before lashing out on a cooler.

I know there are lots of people out there who have never had this problem, even though they drive extremely hard. I wonder what the variability of the engines is to cause this.

After a high speed run the tappets would be noisey and the oil preassure would drop,although after a short period at idle afterwards all would be ok.

Fitting the Apollo must be removeing air from the oil.

Rember most VX2.0 run dry sump anyway so do not have this problem.

The frothy oil theory might also explain why some oils seem better than others. ie they are more or less inclined to froth. As a matter of interest John. how did you install the Apollo tank? Is it line with an external filter bowl, similar to a cooler fit but with the tank instead of the cooler?

I find this subject quite interesting because I had some really scary moments with my car on the track and I know others have had the same problem. If we know the correct explanation we can advise accordingly!!

Paul

Sandwich plate preassure side to top of Apollo, bottom of Apollo to "in" of remote filter,mounted between rad and rack,"out" of filter back to sandwich plate.

The sandwich plate is capped with a blanking disk supplied by Think Automotive.

I also fitted a one way valve to the vent pipe to prvent drain back.

Seems to work well !!!

You can now fit a bigger size filter.

Paul

Sandwich plate preassure side to top of Apollo, bottom of Apollo to "in" of remote filter,mounted between rad and rack,"out" of filter back to sandwich plate.

The sandwich plate is capped with a blanking disk supplied by Think Automotive.

I also fitted a one way valve to the vent pipe to prvent drain back.

Seems to work well !!!

You can now fit a bigger size filter.

Graham,

I do not get over 125deg C from my crankcase mounted (SPLASHED not imersed) sender after 20 mins thrashing on the track. I think the low pressure is a factor of 0w40 and 5w40 oils which are too thin at higer engine temps. 15w50 seems to cure the problem.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here