Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Loose Suspension

viperbl

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone can shed some light …

Putting on some new Nitron Suspension. New bolts and new sleeves from Caterham, 99 Imperial chassis.

The little suspension eyes slot into the suspension, tight fit … the sleeve goes into and through the eyes, again another tight fit with no movement. Then the bolt goes into the sleeve. Here is the problem, its loose. Not like a clowns pocket but a fraction of a MM which IMO is too much… See the below video for an idea of the play it passes on to the suspension.

Caterham have sent me 4 new sleeves, same problem. I’ve tried other imperial bots… same prob. I’ve tried metric bolts and they are tighter but still not a fit I would be happy with.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, rich

Bolts are done up tightly for test there. The top sleeves will actually clamp up and stop movement (although can’t say I’m 100% happy with this since under the load of the car etc its going to move…)

The bottom bolt goes through the lower arm which is too thick for the bolt to move and clamp up…

Simon, Caterham have replied that they have tested a bolt and sleeve and say while it’s not tight, it’s not “loose” … I suspect I should measure with vernier again but IMO it NOT tight, its loose! If I can move each end of the sleeve up and down on the bolt and see movement, that’s too much.

It is completely wrong.

The bolts are a perfect match to the sleeves.

I do not know if the bolt sizes have changed on the metric chassis - I thought they had. So I guess you have 8mm bolt sleeves not 5/16ths

Try Redline.

Spoke to redline and they tested the batch they have from caterham, still had the same result, they said they tried an 8mm bolt also and got movement …

faulty batch from caterham? Can’t believe this would be the first time its picked up??