Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.8 K Series Ring Gear

TomCat1

Any one have any experience in changing one?

Strange thing has happened to my car, drove it 10 miles last sunday morning to work, got there fine. Car was stood for 8 hours until i moved it 10 feet backwards to let somebody out. 10 minutes later i tried to start the car to go home, and all i heard was a loud whining noise. So i thought starter motor, managed to bump the car, got the car home but heard loud clanging?? noises when coming to a stop.

Found some time tonight to have a look at it, the starter motor is fine but the ring gear has completely come off the flywheel, how has it happened as the car was running fine?!

So now im in the position of having to sort it. I know its a gearbox out job, and im thinking while im fixing this, get a lightened flywheel at the same time. Ive seen this.. HERE

Will it fit? Whats peoples thoughts? Or could anyone advise me otherwise..

Many Thanks

Tom

The PTP ultralightweight flywheel is 3.3kgs, not far off the 3.16kgs of the Caterham R500 flywheel. It looks very, very similar, save for the extra holes in the periphery of the Caterham item. Whether that extra ~140g saving is worth ~£100 only you can decide.

I have the PTP flywheel and it was a straight swap, but you do need to check the size of the bolts used to fix the clutch cover on the flywheel. I think some were M8s and some were M7s, depending on vintage. The flywheel is drilled for M8s. Something like that anyway, but it's not a big deal.

Fitting a new ring gear isn't worth the effort in my opinion. Changing the whole flywheel is a no-brainer!

When i searched for a ring gear for my 1.8 K race car they were unobtainable, So fitted a super lightweight www.ttvracing.com (have a look lots off shiny stuff) billet flywheel and a Brise starter unit have never looked back, And it certainly spins up better.

Quoting 2GBR: 
When i searched for a ring gear for my 1.8 K race car they were unobtainable, So fitted a super lightweight www.ttvracing.com (have a look lots off shiny stuff) billet flywheel and a Brise starter unit have never looked back, And it certainly spins up better.

Lovely looking stuff, but it scares me when there's no price on the website *tongue* Seems a shame to hide it away!

Just for interest pulled the R400 file out and dated 11th May 2011 £184 + vat, I collected as local to me. They are currently moving to a much larger engineering shop. Have just checked my clutch/flywheel as engine is out and after 2 yrs of total abuse race and sprints the flywheel is as it went in the car

I forgot about the TTV ones. They seem to be crammed into their workshop the last time I visited them! That's a very reasonable price for the flywheel. Any ideas on the weight of it, Gerry? Sometimes you can pick up R500 flywheels secondhand for £120-odd, but they only come up rarely.