Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ordering car

h

After loads of helpful advice on whether to go for a starter kit or full kit I have decided to go for the full kit and have ordered a R300 in Aztec Orange. I had planned to order a Roadsport but after options/upgrades the cost wasn't that different to the R300. I would appreciate any advice on whether I should order the Carbon Firbe wings and nose and if yes whether I should have the wings painted. My preference is to leave them bare. Are there any essential options I should order (I have ordered the LSD).

Harrie

I have a superlight in black,with the carbon nose and wings left bare.

Looks OK to me,more resistant to stone chips and scratches than paint,a clean every now and again with MER bumper cleaner brings up a shine and waterproofs it.

Do it now while it's still relatively cheap,it'll cost you more if you do it in the future.

My R300 arrives on thursday - to be built over the winter *wink*. You get carbon front wings as standard, rear wings and nose cost (a lot) extra. I've opted for them being painted with the leading edge left unpainted. You can keep adding extras till the cows come home but I decided the Limited Slip Diff, FIA roll bar and interchangeable aeroscreen were musts for trackday mode, and I've ordered screen, hood, heater and leather seats for her indoors and holidays.

bare carbon seems resistant to stone chips whereas GRP isn't. If you've got carbon then leave it bare and show it off. Otherwise (on the rear wings) you'll need paint, a guard and armourfend to protect it - which adds 50% to the cost.

The nose is a bit extortionate and vulnerable to getting cracked in carparks etc.

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

I've got carbon rear wings that are painted. As Hoopy says, you'll need to put stoneguards and amourfend on them to prevent road rash.

My rear wings have got absolutely loads of stone chips on them (A032r's don't help in this regard as they grab every stone and throw it at the wing), so at some stage I'm going to have to get them resprayed and then armour-fended to prevent a repeat performance. It's almost as cheap to buy brand new CF wings than it is to get them re-sprayed and "fended".

I guess what I'm saying is: Don't paint your carbon wings, and definitely have a bare carbon nose-band if you're going for the CF nose cone.

C7 GAR