Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pace Products Dry Sump

DDubya

I've just taken delivery of an R300 which has an after market Pace dry sump.

Numpty question. Advise on checking the oil level please. I spoke with Pace today and they were very helpful and advised that the level should be around an inch below the baffle.

Fine, but I have improvised a dip stick and beyond the baffle is.... another baffle. So measuring the depth of tank doesn't work. I guess my question is, is the measurement below the top baffle?

Any info gratefully received

Danny

Danny

You should check the level with the engine running or at least immediately after shutting it off, otherwise the oil can drain down into the sump past the pump and you get a false indication of what's in there.

I set the level for my Vx, as measured above, so that the oil is just level with the baffle.

Are you going to Saint Goueno next week? If so, hope to see you there.

Paul

Are you talking about the Pace Easy Clean circular tank here?

Assuming so, the oil should be approx 1" below the top baffle, but you need to make sure the oil is warm first (doesn't need to be stinking hot). If you check with the oil cold, it can expand and come over the top when it gets hot and this is a bad thing.

The top baffle is there for two reasons - firstly it helps to stop the oil sloshing around during cornering/braking and secondly, the oil is meant to spiral down on to it from the inlet port and this is an important part of the de-aeration system which ensures there are no bubbles in the oil by the time it is sucked out of the bottom of the tank.

The exact level isn't normally crucial with these tanks. It's an excellent product and very tolerant of varying levels (unlike some bellhousing tanks). I once had a customer who thought the oil should be below the second baffle and he'd been racing with no ill effects. THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED HOWEVER!!!

In theory the level should be checked with the engine running, but in practice this is nearly impossible to judge due to oil flying everywhere. Just switch the engine off and check immediately; any drainback will be absolutely negligible.