Click here if you are having website access problems ×

simple electrical question

k.russell

I am not good at understanding electrical systems, but trying to understand how the battery, starter, alternater, ignition are wired in my car, a VX with factory wiring. could someone please explain, in really simple terms 😳 how the battery starts the car and then how the alternator then takes over to run the engine, and how the current flows through to the ignition switch fuse box etc. with other thread mentioning the wires are full of smoke, i dont want to loose any 😬

I am trying to fit up a Cartek battery isolator and need to understand, if i can what the alternator is throwing back, and where to, the wiring diagram i have from when i biult the kit 20 odd years ago does not offer me much info.

i have a thick red wire from battety to starter on the same starter connection i have two brown , one thick one thin. alternator wiring as in the pic below. i have the thick brown wire at the ign switch. I am going to study John Dickens Automotive Electrics A Practical Guide but any simple advice very welcome

here

In effect, the car is powered by the battery. The alternator is connected to the battery to charge it - so there is no 'taking over' as such. Because the alternator and battery are connected in parallel, you can debate technically where the current is being drawn from but it is easiest to think of the car being powered by the battery at all times but only charged when the alternator is running.

Hi Kev

I've fitted two Cartek isolators. It works by cutting the negative connection to the battery and a positive connection to the ECU. The isolator could do with being fitted close to the negative side of the battery and a short lead goes between the large bolt on the isolator and the negative terminal of the battery. The isolator needs to be fitted to a good ground and as everything I could find to fasten it to on the 7 was aluminium which means the starter current would be running though rivets I also ran a lead from one of the six mounting bolts to a good chassis ground. The other two terminals should cut the ECU, on mine one wire came from the battery positive and the other went straight to the purple ECU wire which normally connects to the battery positive along with the one (or two) brown wires.

Jason