Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Connections to starter/solenoid

TBKBABABTIM

Am a bit confused with the connections doing my build, have red lead to battery and lead from alternator and 2 leads that come off the loom one smaller one which is black and and a larger one which is black wrapped (maybe brown underneath). CC told me connect the red and alternator lead plus one from loom to the larger terminal on the solenoid but that was it and I seem to have

A spare lead.

I presume the smaller black lead from the loom should connect to the smaller terminal on the solenoid? It's a 140 supersport

Help appreciated.

I hoped this bit might:

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
From the Assembly Guide
Connect the red lead from the starter motor to the battery. Also connect the black lead on the main vehicle loom to the starter motor on the same terminal.

NOTE

If a battery master switch is fitted, there will be two red leads; one goes to the battery, the other to the starter. The brown lead is already connected.

Connect the brown lead from the alternator to the starter.

Connect the brown/red wire (covered with black insulation) from the chassis loom to the starter solenoid.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 27 Apr 2013 11:18:00

It's more which terminal they connect to. The thinner of the 2 leads from the loom won't fit on the first terminal as the connector is too small so currently have this one connected to the smaller terminal and the other 3 connected to the larger outside terminal.

That's correct... I got confused by the build manual too...

When you realise that only one cable will fit the left-hand terminal, then it's much easier - the other three go on the right-hand terminal!

I've a photo... but haven't sorted out how to show them to everyone oh here (yet)!

• Area Representative

I did mine couple of weeks ago and checked with CC as I was confused by the manual (not for the first time!). Basically I have the same instructions as BigCol. The tricky part I found is trying to figure out how to route the cables to the Battery, there doesn't really seem to be any real guidance on how the wiring looms should be routed, I've ended up trying to cable tie them where I can but am a bit apprehensive because I'm guessing it's something that will be checked as part of the IVA test.