Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Draining colling system - urgent advice required.

RodW

Am draining out nasty Bluecol coolant to replace with lovely Coldstream in my 1.8K Roadsport.

Have taken out radiator drain plug (at bottom)and bleed plug (top), with heater in "on" position. Only 3.6 litres have come out - build manual says system with heater takes 5.5 litres. I have flushed out with running water from a hose, but presumably there is tap water lurking in system.

How do I get rid of this before refilling? Do I need to? I can't find a drain plug on the cylinder block.

Will jacking up the back end help? Is turning the engine over a few turns with immobiliser on to pump out remainder a really daft idea?

Help please.

Rod

many a time I have turned the engine over to remove excess, however not sure if you will get all the water out of the block

you could refill with water and run momentarily to reduce mix of bluecol and then drain as much as you can then refill with Coldstream.

Mark

You called I'm here undo the dolt securing the dipstick which is throught the thermostat housing and wiggle [yes wiggle] the thermostat housing backwards [its a push fit in the front of the block with an "o" ring] this will release the rest of the trapped coolant. *wink* *wink* *eek* *eek*

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.