Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Attaching engine to gearbox

TBKBABABTIM

While waiting for missing suspension parts have moved on to prepping engine and gearbox. Ready to attach the engine to the gearbox and probably numpty question but doesn't mention using any gasket sealant between the engine and bell housing, is this correct?

• Leadership Team

HI Tim,

What gearbox have you got?

If 5 speed there should be a paper gasket that goes around the shaft at the top - this needs to be sealed. Also remove the two cover plates and reseal them before refitting and fitting to bell housing.

If 6 speed - ignore above!! No idea about that one *smile*

Quoting Garry7: 
HI Tim,

What gearbox have you got?

If 5 speed there should be a paper gasket that goes around the shaft at the top - this needs to be sealed. Also remove the two cover plates and reseal them before refitting and fitting to bell housing.

If 6 speed - ignore above!! No idea about that one *smile*

I think the OP has already attached the bellhousing to the gearbox as his query concerned attaching the b/h to the engine.

JV

Garry, now I'm even more confused, its a 5 speed box and fitting to a sigma.

I was asking about the fitting of the bellhousing to the engine.

I fitted and sealed the paper gasket between the bellhousing and gearbox although the bellhousing at the bottom overlaps the flange on the gearbox so it isnt going to be sealed the whole way round. Also from memory was only one cover plate below the shaft and mo mention of removing and resealing it.

Paper gasket between bellhousing and gearbox - MUST be sealed around the little shaft that pokes out at the top into the blind hole, around the rest of it isn't important. No gasket between engine and bellhousing *thumbup*.

I built a sigma car in OCt/Nov last year, a few pics and tips in the build diary on the links below. It was challenging in places, happy to answer specific questions if I can.

• Leadership Team

Thanks JV - didn't read it properly did I? *redface*

Sorry Tim, didn't mean to confuse you - as long as you have sealed around the hole for the shaft at the top as Steve says that is all good.

Its not absolutely necessary to remove the cover plate and re seal - just something I was advised to do if I remembered.

Promise to read your next post properly before typing *smile*

Quoting Grubbster: 
Paper gasket between bellhousing and gearbox - MUST be sealed around the little shaft that pokes out at the top into the blind hole, around the rest of it isn't important. No gasket between engine and bellhousing *thumbup*.

I built a sigma car in OCt/Nov last year, a few pics and tips in the build diary on the links below. It was challenging in places, happy to answer specific questions if I can.

Thanks all clear and I've sealed all the way round

Quoting Garry7: 
Thanks JV - didn't read it properly did I? *redface*

Sorry Tim, didn't mean to confuse you - as long as you have sealed around the hole for the shaft at the top as Steve says that is all good.

Its not absolutely necessary to remove the cover plate and re seal - just something I was advised to do if I remembered.

Promise to read your next post properly before typing *smile*

No problem appreciate all the help sofar

• Area Representative

TBKBABABTIM, I'm at a very similar stage to you in my build and have just attached the bell housing / gearbox to engine (Sigma). I too put sealant around on the paper gasket, not sure if was needed but remember reading somewhere to put sealant round bell housing to engine, the build manual didn't seem clear, so I did it anyhow.

It all went well but so far just can't seem to get at the inside bolt which attaches the starter motor to bell housing. If you solve how to tighten it please let me know (I was just going to leave it for post build check otherwise).

Hope your enjoying the build, this is my first attempt at anything like this and feels like doing a massive puzzle, it's amazing how one simple sentence in the manual transcribes to hours of fun.

Hi Nick, same here never attempted anything like this before and haven't done any real work on a car for years.

its easy to write something when you know what you mean but sometimes

Doesn't come across as clearly to the person trying to use it and certainly parts of the guide have been a bit of a puzzle. I've downloaded loads of photos which help a lot and sofar every step has probably involved about an hour of reading looking at photos to make sure I'm hopefully doing it right.

Have a few missing parts so having to skip forward rather than do everything in order asper the guide which also makes its feel a bit strange but am really enjoying it.

Tomorrow will attempt to fit the engine to the gearbox/bellhousing if I manage to work out a way of refitting the starter motor 3rd bolt will let you know.

A lot of people seem not to fit the third starter bolt as it doesn't seem possible to get to it with anything to tighten it. I managed to fit a narrower but longer bolt that came through the hole in the bellhousing - and put a nut on it.

The reason for sealing around the little shaft at the top of the gearbox is that a little oil can be pushed through here when you change gear and if you don't seal around it then eventually oil will find its way into the bell housing and on to the clutch plate - meaning it's time to take it all out again 😔

Edited by - Grubbster on 31 Mar 2013 09:17:39

Quoting Grubbster: 
A lot of people seem not to fit the third starter bolt as it doesn't seem possible to get to it with anything to tighten it. I managed to fit a narrower but longer bolt that came through the hole in the bellhousing - and put a nut on it.

The reason for sealing around the little shaft at the top of the gearbox is that a little oil can be pushed through here when you change gear and if you don't seal around it then eventually oil will find its way into the bell housing and on to the clutch plate - meaning it's time to take it all out again 😔

Edited by - Grubbster on 31 Mar 2013 09:17:39

Now you've got me worried I didnt seal it well enough, but not sure I fancy splitting the bellhousing from the gearbox as it was a very tight fit and dont know how I would get them apart

• Leadership Team

Tim, don't worry, as long as you put sealant around that hole for the shaft it will be fine.

The guide really is just that in places, frustrating at times but I thought it was fun too. I haver loads of pictures - some sent to me from the factory when I got stuck.

If you do get stuck and need a picture let me know - I've probably got it! *cool*

Getting paranoid, and also bit impatient as 4 days of no one at CC to check with, the

bolts supplied to attach the clutch actuating mechanism were right size but fully threaded rather than part threaded asper the description on the pack http://www.flickr.com/photos/94436997@N06/8605147429/in/photostream

here first link doesn't seem to work on ipad

anyone happen to know if ok to use these or if need get different ones from CC

Edited by - TBKBABABTIM on 31 Mar 2013 13:53:12

Quoting TBKBABABTIM: 
Getting paranoid, and also bit impatient as 4 days of no one at CC to check with, the

bolts supplied to attach the clutch actuating mechanism were right size but fully threaded rather than part threaded asper the description on the pack http://www.flickr.com/photos/94436997@N06/8605147429/in/photostream

here first link doesn't seem to work on ipad

anyone happen to know if ok to use these or if need get different ones from CC

Edited by - TBKBABABTIM on 31 Mar 2013 13:53:12

I don't know which bolts my car has as Duratec kits come with the actuator mechanism ready-fitted, but two things puzzle me about this:

Why specify a shanked bolt when (presumably) a fully-threaded one will do?

Why specify a high-tensile 12.9 bolt when it's threading into an aluminium casting and is subject only to a minor rotational load (from the CRB)?

JV