Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Any wrappers out there?

Bumble

I was planning to wrap my car in hexis 3000 material, and have had a look on their site and on here. A while back, someone reckoned their wrap wouldn't stick to a bare aluminium car. Is this right?

Thanks,

Matt

Quoting Se7en-Up!: 
Hexis vinyl is pretty good and the 3000 series is quite nice/forgiving to work with.

It has an air release adhesive system (channels in the glue to help you dissipate any air bubbles)

This does however lessen the amount of adhesive that is in contact with the surface it's being applied to. Saying that, it sticks well to pretty much any smooth surface.

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't stick to aluminium, providing the surface is properly cleaned and degreased.

Most large vinyl signs are mounted onto composite aluminium panels and some of these are supplied with a bare aluminium surface.

And...I've never seen any race numbers or sponsors stickers falling of an aluminium Caterham :o)

I've wrapped mine with Hexis 3000 and it sticks OK to the ali generally as long as you clean it well, but I etch-primed to bonnet to be on the safe side. However, the adhesive is failing a bit around the louvres now so I'm having it wrapped again, but not in Hexis as others are experiencing some problems with it in tight corners. So if you just want to do the larger flat bits with Hexis that's OK but I'd be cautious about doing the bonnet.

Some pictures of my DIY attempts in the build diary on my web site if I'm honest I'm not sure I'd wrap another one myself!

Thanks for the responses, a little disappointing to hear about the peppering of the wings, and the issue with the louvres, I was going to go with their frosted grey metallic finish, with a couple of white gloss stripes down the bonnet, but may have to rethink if it's that fragile.

I spose I could always armourfend the rear wings> this may keep the matt / frozen effect finish, or re-wrap the rear wings every year!

Matt