Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Repackable exhaust

pugwash

I have acquired a repackable silencer (duratec r400 type) which I have modified to fit my sigma engined supersport. It's currently empty so I have ordered up some Accoustfil to pack it.

During a test fit yesterday I noticed it leaks exhaust gas a little through the front end of the silencer where the flange that bolts the two parts together is.

Is this to be expected and should I ignore it?

Does anyone use a thin layer of silicon sealant to stop this?

If you do that is it a pig to disassemble next time?

When its packed will this stop this happening?

I know lots of BCers recently bought through the bulk buy, which I just missed, so I know there is much experience of this out there. Any tips on packing? I have been told to wrap in cling film to hold it all together when reassembling.

Any advice gratefully received.

Mark.

Can't really help you as I've never refilled one myself (but need to shortly). My hill climbing buddy suggested zip-ties rather than cling film though. I'm guessing you've a better Hanse of getting it all in the can that way without snagging...

Can you get both ends of the can off to expose the perforated exhaust tube or do you have to slide the packing into the silencer and over the exhaust tube at the same time, as is the case with Powerspeed silencers. This is a real pig and you need a cardboard tube that just fits over the central tube to wrap the packing around and then either tiewrap or cling film the ouside. Once its in you pull out the inner cardboard tube. The cling film will melt and burn off. I've read on here that people use high temperature silicon to seal and leaks.

Thanks Paul,

This one comes neatly in half with the outer sliding off to reveal just the central perforated pipe and a flange at each end. Packing looks simply to be a case of winding the filling around the perforated tube and sliding the cover back over without ruffling up the filling. Hadn't realized there were different designs. The power speed ones must be fun to pack if the inner and the outer is fixed!

Hi Mark,

Yes you can use high temp silicon to seal the end caps, it will come out again with out to much of a problem.

The best thing that I use on all the bike exhausts I build, is masking tape to hold the packing and reduce its size to slide it into place.

It will burn and release the packing when it gets hot.

Give the inside of the tube a good spray with silicon spray to help slide the packing in works well.

The packing must not be to tight, it has to move when the shock waves hit it

It also must not be to loose as then it absorbs to much shock wave,

and then Releases it sending the wave both ways causing high rpm misfiring.

Well that’s what happens on the single cylinder bike exhausts, too loose and it will never hit full revs.

Hope this helps. *cool*

Chris