Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I thought all the spare wheel racks were the same size

Caterham Kid

I bought a Caterham luggage rack at the Caterham Farewell event yesterday. I even tried it on one of the cars there to see how it fitted. However when I tried it on my car it wont even remotely fit. The luggage rack is too wide for the wheel carrier. It only cost me £4 so I am not too concerned but can anyone shed any light on the situation as I was amazed to discover they dont all seem to be the same.

Just been out and measured mine for you.

Internal width at bottom: 455mm

Internal width between locating lugs: 390mm

Distance between locating lug and outer tube: 35mm

I purchased my rack in 1992. Not sure how long they'd been making them at the time, but mine will have been designed for an imperial chassis. Can't comment on whether they changed dimensions for the metric chassis.

If you need anything else then let me know.

Edited by - Mort on 18 Feb 2013 17:44:01

If you can post the dimensions - width, distance between the locating lugs, etc I'll happily measure mine, which works on a Supersprint and a K-Series, as a comparison.

Internal width at bottom: 455mm

Internal width between locating lugs: 390mm

Distance between locating lug and outer tube: 35mm

I only did a quick measurement from corner to corner (where the rack seems to fit on) and it is approximately 42cm. The rack seems to be about 45 between mounting points. I didnt do very acurrate measurements though.

It seems to be very tight between tyre and the carrier. There is hardly any room for the mounting points of the luggage rack. The number plate gets in the way but it can be moved out the way... just!! Long term risk of breaking the number plate though.

Could you have picked up one for an SV by mistake?

The spare tyre carrier should be the same though surely???

Edited by - Caterham Kid on 18 Feb 2013 19:06:31

Quoting Aeroscreens: 
Could you have picked up one for an SV by mistake?

Nope it's usually a case of one size fits all. I have one and it was the same part for s3 or SV. The wheel carrier is not a different size. Don't know about the early vs late s3's though...

• Area Representative

I seem to recall struggling to fit a luggage carrier to a live axle car from the mid 1980's? I think the wheel carrier may have been different on earlier cars which didn't have the triangular support bracket.

However, there are many different size wheels and tyres and this can sometimes make fitting difficult. If you have not already done so, suggest you loosen the bolt which secures the wheel to the body. just enough to allow you to tilt the wheel and push the luggage rack into place and then tighten the bolt back up.

If the bracket is still a long way out you might find a little adjustment with a vice may help.

Good Luck.

*arrowup*

My Seven is a 2004 Roadsport.

Hopefully at the weekend I will take the spare wheel off and ensure the rack fits ok. I will then follow your suggestion to see how I can fit it with the spare wheel in place. I have already realised it may need a small tweak in the vice!

Quoting Caterham Kid: 
Well... It goes on fine if I take the spare wheel off first put the rack on and then put the spare wheel back on. A little bit of a hassle but I guess I could live with it.

That's the way that mine works - the spare has to be removed to fit the rack, and when the spare is locked in place it prevents the rack from being removed - for safety and security.