Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.8K series 2003 Roadsport SV starting problem

robheathcock

My newly acquired Raodsport SV is already testing my commitment to se7en ownership by having an intermittent starting problem which seems to occur after a long run.

When I collected the car two weeks ago and drove home I tried to start it in the evening when SWMBO came home and it wouldn't and all I got was one of the relays in the 'black box' between the battery and bulkhead (which I was later advised via blatchat was called the MHRU) clicking but nothing turning over. I checked the immobiliser was off but no difference.

Fiddled with the MHRU in case of a loose connection (by now you will have realised I am no mechanic) and thought the box cover was loose as when I resecured it it managed to start. Therefore convinced myself that was the problem and rang CC to discuss a replacement as car still under warranty.

Not managed to sort a replacement yet but exactly the same problem occurred today after a long run back from CC closing event when we stopped for petrol on the way home. Waited a while (about 10 mins) and then she fired up OK. *thumbup*

So it's another call to CC tomorrow but anyone got any advice as to what the root cause of the problem could be? *confused* *confused*

Still had a great day though and I guess this all part of se7en ownership...

Cheers

Rob

There's lots on this in the archives.

1 What is the battery voltage before cranking and during cranking? It's important to be sure that your battery isn't on the way out before going to 2.

2 Search for "Click" in the archives. There is a widely-described fault where the relay doesn't deliver enough current to the starter. There is a simple fix.

Where are you?

Jonathan

I'm one of many to have experienced this and it is very frustrating. Performing the 'relay mod', changing a length of crispy wire to the starter motor and protecting the starter motor and wiring from heat from the exhaust primaries have all helped to eliminate the problem completely. *smile* Worth doing lots of reading and searching as suggested to get a good understanding of the cause and the cure. *smile*

• Area Representative

Rob

Classic symptoms of the K series click. Happens when engine is hot, after a motorway run or a nice long blat.

The answer is to fit a relay - Only costs about £10 or so for parts - plenty in the archives, but I can let you have detailed instructions if you wish. However as has been suggested, Caterham should sort this for you. They should be very familiar with "hot start click problem"

Don't let this early problem put you off. Once I fitted a relay the car was transformed. After regular hot start problems the car has since never failed to start first time in 12 years!!

Good luck. *thumbup*

• Leadership Team

It really is quite astounding why Caterham don't bother to modify this on every car that goes through the showroom *nono* A "module" of the correct bits would cost them pennies, certainly a lot less than the time they must spend sorting the problem individually .... especially when they've been known to provide replacement starter motors in an effort to solve it!

Stu.