Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox & flywheel swap - ToDo list?

Wrightpayne

At the end of Feb I have a designated caterham weekend (well its on the calendar so it must be official)

I have a newly rebuilt 6 speed box (currently 5sp) and a lightened flywheel to fit so its engine out. Engine is bog standard 1.6k SS. Rebuilt 3.62 diff going back in next weekend. So far I've accumulated:

AP clutch plate

New CRB

Redline MTL oil

Loctite for flywheel bolts (to seal rather than lock)

6 sp gear knob

Engine oil / filter.

GT85 for a general clean of engine bay

Dinitrol to re-do the grot traps.

Planning to re-use flywheel bolts, cover plate bolts and AP clutch cover. Coolant changed last year so will drain and re-use. Cam and alternator belts not due for a while.

Ideally I want the engine out and back in in a weekend though happy to put ancilliaries on during the evenings of the following week. Any items I should consider changing whilst its all out, that I'll need to obtain in advance? Geabox mount perhaps and poss inlet manifold gasket?

Any other jobs to do or flaws in my plan to re-use items (bolts)?

Regards

Ian

Definately change the spigot bearing and sleeve, we have had a number of these fail on cars in our area. Do you have reverse lights? If so, buy a spare reverse switch as they always seem to break going back in.

Whilst the engine was out last month I shielded the starter motor in a solder mat and carried out the relay mod, maybe worth considering?

I have just changed my flywheel to an R500 lightweight (used the same flywheel bolts, didn't know to change them) and swapped to a 6 speed box a few years back, you will love the change. *thumbup*

Some good suggestions...

BBL - I changed these a few years ago for the later type that supposedly wont pull apart if the rubber fails.

FD - whats involved with changing the spigot bearing? Any special tools? Reverse switch on 6 speed is fubar'd so need to do that anyway.

Ian

I'd recommend doing the CRB alteration

Replaced mine with the plastic kind when I put in a DS system last summer. Unfortunately lasted 500 miles and needs to be replaced again so followed the advice on BC and purchased the new bits from Burton had them machined to the correct size, now just a case of installing them.

You are defiantly going to enjoy the lightened flywheel *thumbup* *thumbup*

MarkG