Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lower wishbone nearside removal

ccconn

HELP!

Im putting wide track on the car and have done the offside and was pleased with myself, now for the passenger side and everything has come off except the rear bolt. Ive got the nut off but it was all I could do to turn the bloody bolt. Ive no idea how to remove the bolt as both alternator and the apollo are in the way. Do I need to take take the alternator off?javascript:insertAtCursor(document.postpage.message,%20' *mad*')

Any useful thoughts would be most appreciated

Chris

Are you sure? The bolt head on mine was facing the alternator, and had to go out towards the alternator. It does actually hit the alternator, but with a lot of wiggling, and pushing the wishbone towards the front of the car, once you have removed the washers, as this gives you a vital few mm, it should come out. If the bolt is tight, you'll either have to keep applying WD or similar, and keep rotating it, and it shoud loosen off, or if not you'll have to get something on the other end to knock it through.

Oz

Hi Chris *wavey*,

Assuming you can get your fingers to the thread end, keep 'undoing' the bolt end whilst pushing as hard as you can on the thread end. You should find the bolt will keep winding itself towards the front of the car until it's free of the wishbone.

Regards,

Giles

After what seemed like a whole can of lubricant, a U clamp and a lot of swearing it came out. Do not want to do that again, the only thing is that the lower wishbone appears to bind a little even without the bolt done up (the washers were a pig to get in). But am assuming with a bit of use it will ease up.

Thanks for the thoughts I hope its worth it!

Only tighten the wishbone bolts when the car is on the ground with the suspension loaded. The bolt clamps the inner part of the bush only and the wishbone rotates up and down during operation stretching the rubber between the inner and outer parts.

John