Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec water pump pulley

Pendennis

Yes high revs, its set at 8.7k and when the temperature is up around 90c it cavitates. The CC R500 does not go that high, mine is race engine and is always up at 8.7k. Interestingly my last race engine was set at 8300rpm and although it did it occasionally, not quite the same, so this issue must occur around 8500rpm.

Danny

Your alternator pulley was 80mm, not 100mm. The crank pulley was 100mm and the water pump 125mm. Yes, it probably didn't charge at idle but when you did 2 days open pit lane at Spa and covered 500 miles, how much time did you spend at idle and how much pretty much flat out at 9,000 rpm? For a trailered track only car it was the right decision I think.

Later 310 bhp spec engines than yours with the smaller crank pulley for mixed road and track use ran a 65mm alternator pulleys.

I've been running an 80mm alternator pulley on the road with no problems but with the larger stock crank pulley. I've also been running one of the 125mm water pump pulleys I had made on the road with no cooling problems.

Pendennis

The larger water pump pulley is definitely the way to go. I've been fitting them to a lot of my engines since about 2005. Never had any problems as long as your cooling circuit is OK and you have a good rad. I used to use the Pace race rad. Worked fine.

There were some made by Cosworth at the same time as mine, funnily enough also 125mm (we came independently to the conclusion that this was the correct size). They made two different types. One was solid, the other wasted and lightened. The lightened ones had a tendency to crack and were later replaced by the solid ones.