Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starting issues

Ads7

Good evening pobc

I have a small issue with my 1800k roadsport with cold starting.

When I start the car from cold it doesn't like to run. To keep it running I have to keep the revs up or keep driving. As soon as I dip the clutch or release the throttle it just dies. I then restart and the same happens. Then suddenly and randomly I will turn the key to try again and it will tick over fine.

It doesn't happen all the time so I can't see it being a map problem.

It has a few mods with ported polished head, piper cams and verniers, power speed 4-2-1 exhaust. I have had it mapped recently by Northampton Motorsport and it was the same before and after.

Can anybody give me some pointers.

Adam

It's running standard plenum and tb at the moment.

Mark I was wondering if its the same problem as Paul's but wasn't sure as he's running the dth bodies. I asked Troy about the cold start and he said it shouldn't be needed and it quite a lot of work to get a cold map right *confused*

Adam

Funny you should say that bio because the other day the revs decided to climb to about 2k rpm whilst only moving very slowly with the clutch dipped and warm. When cold and she fires up it sometimes hunts when I have the throttle open slightly but as soon as I take my foot off the throttle it dies.

Will pop down to my local parts shop tomorrow and pic a control valve up.

Will keep you posted.

Adam

it quite a lot of work to get a cold map right

Well, a lot of patience anyway! The problem is that to properly test/set up a cold-start map, you need the engine to be, well - cold! If you plug your laptop in to the Emerald, you should be able to see the coolant temp (as recorded by the Emerald) climb quite quickly through the first few adjustment sites (I'm referring to my Emerald - c. 2004 vintage and not upgraded since) - so you've then got the problem of letting the engine cool back down to a genuine 'cold' start.

Just because the temp has yet to register on the dash-gauge doesn't mean that the ECU/Emerald is not already tweaking the spark etc.!