Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superlight #73.

Simon_hill

Posting on behalf of my friend for his lovely spec and condition Superlight, which is for sale due to lack of use (despite constant ribbing from me to use it, he has so much on the go, it just doesn't get used enough).

After much thought I have decided to sell my beloved Caterham Superlight due to other commitments meaning I'm not driving this fantastic car as much as it deserves.

I am the 3rd owner since it was built in 1998 and registered in1999 and have owned the car since 2006.I have really looked after this car, as have the previous owners, and I have all the receipts from 1998. It has just had a full service by Northampton Motorsport and comes with 12 months MOT and Tax.

The car also comes with a superb private plate, which will be the envy of other Superlight owners (C4 TSL).

- 14,280 miles

- Mango Orange with exposed carbon fibre on noseband and rear wing protectors

- Tillet seats with Willans 3" FIA 4pt harnesses

- Carbon fibre dash

- Removable Momo steering wheel

- Battery cut off switch

- Big red starter button

- Wide track, de-dion suspension with uprated springs and adjustable spring platforms

- Caterham AP brakes

- Black Centred Minator Wheels withYokohama 48R's

- 1.8 K Series engine with dry sump, ported head, 740 cams, Jenvey individual throttle bodies (worth it for the sound alone!), Emerald ECU, Steel lightweight flywheel, AP clutch. Built in 2009 by DVA Power and tuned by Northampton Motorsport. 165bhp (power and torque plots available).

- Caterham 6 speed gearbox

- Limited Slip Diff

- Competiton exhaust

- Full Roadsport roll cage

- Full weather equipment plus Soft Bits for Seven Half Roof and Touring Tunnel Bag, 12V and USB sockets (useful for Sat Nav & MP3 players!)

Pictures here

£15250

Tel Mark on 07021512208

Edited by - simon_hill on 19 Sep 2012 08:47:13

• 4 weeks later...

Please take this as constructive criticism. I think it would be more attractive if a bit of time was spent changing it back to more standard condition, mainly moving the battery back to its original location, fitting a Banner and putting right any wiring changes for the current battery location on the heater tray. Id also fit the heater back if it has the tray etc. Mark is right about the cage - that will be putting people off, as will will the holes in the dash for the cage.

Its a cracking spec, very much my ideal spec, but its not as stock/ standard, which for a numbered Superlight, is very important.

It's probably not the best time of year to sell a 7 - I expect that might have something to do with it.

People can criticise the cage, but for some, it's an attractive addition. A lot of the serious blatters I've met have fitted cages and this is a serious blatting vehicle!

It's been DVA'd so in that respect it's anyway not standard (but a better car for having been seen by Dave Andrews).

Cheers for the comments guys - will pass them on to Mark.

A few people have been interested in the car, but no-one's been up to see it yet - I think anyone who did come to see it would probably snaffle it up - it's a very low mileage car (as a result of my failure to get him out in it enough!), super tidy and has wanted for nothing. If I was in the market (and hadn't just sold my 7 for practicality reasons), I would have probably had it off him myself.

As you mention, a cage can be both attractive and perhaps put people off at the same time. I think it's one of those things that appeals more once you've had a 7 and are looking for that extra chassis stiffness (or safety) - certainly changing to cages seems to be a catching disease round here!!

I don't think there is a heater, although if an original superlight is important, then a heater really isn't part of the superlight ethos (and frankly there's probably 1 trip a year I missed having removed the heater from my own 7!!)

Regards battery location, I've no idea why it's there - it was there when we went to buy the car for Mark in the first place. I suspect someone in the past has had a duff banner and then thought such a small battery isn't up to the task, so has put a larger battery in.

Edited by - Simon_hill on 13 Oct 2012 20:56:10

Heater was an option on a SL. That doesn't affect the value; we had one retrofitted to Jennie's beautiful and much missed SL.

My R500 has a Superlight cage. If I ever had to sell it (kidneys would be flogged first) I would probably have it removed and refit weather gear to broaden the appeal.

The engine mods are, imho, not a problem either as long as the engine is the original one. Sounds like all you need do is remove the cage and put the battery back in the tray and Tom'll be there with the readies 😬