Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR on order... any advice?!

StuC

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Area Representative

I have never thought joyriders to be a problem. They want a bling car with 4 seats and a radio.

Trackers have always had an on-board battery which should last for about 10 years. Anyway you can take the power before the battery isolator switch.

Sounds like a tracker is the way forward then... certainly the reduction in premium over the first couple of years would seem to more than cover the cost of the kit!

I'm going to ask Caterham if they can arrange for one to be fitted when my car is built.

Edited by - StuC on 9 Aug 2012 13:14:32

Well, the insurance company who are linked through Caterham quoted me just over a grand (but that would require the fitment of a tracker). I'm having trouble getting within a couple of hundred quid of that from insurance brokers who don't require the fitment of a tracker... but there aren't many who will insure it without a tracker (due to the value of the car being over 40k), so choice is quite limited.

I've got a clean licence, and a load of years no-claims from driving my Supersport too!

V expensive, eh.

☹️

Back on the subject of CSR gearbox & diff ratio selection, I spoke to Caterham today - couple of interesting updates:

diff struts are now fitted as standard to all CSRs & R500s

CSR standard diff is now 3.38, which they recommend for road use. Agreed that 6-speed box plus 3.38 final drive is probably best compromise of performance versus driveability for a road going car which will also be used on track days.

I think for someone who is "touring only" the best would probably be the 5-speed plus 3.38 (or even longer as Hanns Per's car).

My order suitably amended to 6-speed box plus 3.38 diff.

I've also added the track day roll bar and the adjustable pedals ('cos my wife is tiny, and she wants to drive it too!).

😬

Cheers all!

Sounds like you had a productive day! All the important things in life are decided! 😬

I suspected that was going to be the answer for the diff struts as mine came already installed but was not sure if UK spec cars were the same.

I would still swap you for your insurance cost - mine is a good 25% more than you are being quoted. Admittedly, sevens in NYC are not a good combination... *rolleyes*

Very true...

You have my sympathy regarding insurance costs... but on the up-side, you are in The Big Apple, driving a Seven, which has got to be about the most stand-out cool thing anyone could do in the world.

*cool*

I'd love to drive through Manhattan at about 4 o'clock on a summer morning in my CSR making the exhaust noise bounce off all the skyscrapers!

Probably get a bit of attention from New York's finest though...?