Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-SERIES WATER PUMP

Simon Ephithite

Depending on your set up, you might be able to see a jet of fluid into the expansion tank from the bleed pipe.

The only way I can think of being absolutely sure (but also cover in coolant!) is to crack the bleed bolt on the rad slightly. If the engine is started from cold, there can't be any heat-related pressure - but you should get pump-generated pressure from the off.

Personally, i'd hope to rely on feeling the rad as the engine was up - assuming your stat works and was installed correctly.

remove the thermostat and see if problem goes away.

Sounds like stat or air lock. New stats can be faulty. Stick it in a pan of (hot!) water and see what temp it opens. Meanwhile leave it out of the car while problem managed.

Remove/release *not the fan* belt (edit: see next message for correction to this comment by SMT25, sorry I am currently working on a Ford engine)) and see if pump goes round without unwanted (grinding, graunching, rumbling) noises. Should be no play to speak of.

Otherwise I vote airlock. Squeezing hoses isn't the complete process for airlocks (you haven't said what you have tried); lots on here about that, T pieces seem to be favoured.

Edited by - anthonym on 29 Jul 2012 12:07:06

Water pump is driven by cam belt. You could use cam locking tool, then put a spot of Tippex on belt edge and each pulley to ensure you refit it correctly, then slacken adjuster and remove it to spin WP pulley by hand as suggested above. Some have plastic impellers I believe, which can fracture. Replaced my pump when engine out at about 48k - it was just starting to leak.

New pump had a metal impeller *thumbup*

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 29 Jul 2012 11:33:35

• Area Representative

Simon,

It's very very unlikely to be the coolant pump!

It sounds VERY like an air lock to me. I suspect you still have air in the head.

Is the nipple that runs from the end of the plenum back to the to of the header tank clear?

There is a non return valve in the head end of the nipple that is supposedb to allow air out of the head, but then prevent coolant flowing. It often gets gummed up so is not clear to allow air to escape from the head.

Stick a bit of hose on it and see if you can blow into it. If you can't, the try poking into the nipple with a small allen key or something similar until you can blow back into the head.