Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear view mirror

classic1952

Pop down to your local scrappie and find yourself an old Ford mirror, preferably with dipping built in, which Caterhams mirror doesn't have, they should charge you no more than a couple of quid, buy a mirror stick on patch from an accessory shop and Bobs your uncle [no not you CB! *wink*]

Quoting Paul Jacobs: 
Pop down to your local scrappie and find yourself an old Ford mirror, preferably with dipping built in, which Caterhams mirror doesn't have, they should charge you no more than a couple of quid, buy a mirror stick on patch from an accessory shop and Bobs your uncle [no not you CB! *wink*]

I have tried this but had difficulty finding one suitable for the upright windscreen. Those I have found have insufficient downward adjustment in the Caterham. The same applies to the stick on Summit mirrors, at least for my height - 5" 9".

You need to turn it upside down. The mirror bit. It's then closer to the top of the windscreen and doesn't obscure your view if you are 5' 9". I also offset it a few inches to the passenger side (it hasn't caused any complaints to date) which means there is less of a blind spot. Also one can see more behind as the FIA rollbar diagonal then doesn't obscure the view. The dipping lever is on the top rather than the bottom but you soon get used to that.

Edited by - Clousta on 21 Jul 2012 15:35:18

My Ford dipping mirror (s described in my post above) came from Redline Components. I thought the price (Ford's) was steep at the time but then I hadn't seen CC's price or even considered the level of your 'target' price.

• 1 year later...
The interior mirror from a mk1 Ka is the same as the Caterham one. Have just upgraded the mirror in my 7 to a dipping one (and consequently downgraded the mirror in my brother's Ka...) and the arms are identical. Thought this may be useful info for any scrapyard hunters.

Just been given one of these for my birthday. Takes a bit of getting used to - the view is very wide, but rather shallow so you might have to spend quite a long time adjusting it to get the depth you want.

One good thing - it clearly covers the area that should be visible in my useless passenger mirror (and I've been able to enhance that by retaining my screen mounted mirror but turning it to look out to the left).

Only disadvantage so far: the sides of the roof or half roof cut down on the wide angle.