Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yoko tyre dates

Peter Mears

After a small slide in the wet last evening a started to wonder about the age of my AO21s

The code reads 4001 which I beleive is 40th week 2001 😳 and I think this is about right from when I put them on.

Are these passed their sell by date and what would be a good replacement from todays tyre choice.

Allthough the tyres are all the same I could not find the codes on two of them looked like a fake bar code? 🙆🏻 On the other side 🙆🏻 😬

size will be 185 60 14 all round. mostly road miles as I have track wheels.

Edited by - peter mears on 20 Jul 2012 16:31:27

Small slide in the wet? You weren't trying Peter! Must be those Staffordshire roads to blame. 😬

Seriously tyres are a little old. 185/70/13 AO21's from Polley are about £60 each delivered so maybe hoik the also out of date tyres off the track wheels?

Mick, dont do unexpected slides only intended heavy right boot ones. Thats why I got the feeling somthing was wrong.

I had thought of the 70 profile but realy wanted to keep the retro skoda wheels so need to be 14". Plus the old wheels are pants.

Are 14s that much more and what about another band or 48s ?

Have always run at 19psi, so thats not the problem. Just think they have gone hard, so looked at Demon and they want £114 each 😳

48s were cheeper which surprised me. Anyway have asked polley for a quote on four 21s.

Might just eek out the summer on the old ones and will then have seven used tyres for sale/donation to ntl, worn enough for an airfield day.

Quoting Peter Mears: 
Mick are you going 70 profile and do the 48s wear quickly?

Yep moving to 70 profile.

Expect about 5000 miles for a pair of rear 48's. Fronts last a little longer, maybe 7000 miles. About 4 to 5mm tread when new.

5000 miles 😳that will keep me going for a few years 😬

Anyway staying with the 60 profile, do you know (mick) what the main differences would be between 21 & 48 putting aside wear. I know you have had both!

From what i remember 48s are not as good in the wet, allthough are less expensive it would seem.

48s might look a bit modern on my retro mobile *confused*

• Area Representative

Hi Peter,

Nice to meet you last week. For your driving I would stick to the 21's as a best all rounder for grip, value and durability. The 14" version though are very expensive and I would consider going to 13" and factoring a set of new or secondhand rims in which probably makes this purchase as high as the 14" tyres by themselves!

The 185/70 x 13" are a control tyre and Polley's sell them at a set price around 50% of the 14" charge. 60 series are higher but nowhere near the prices you are quoting.

I found the 48's were fine on track and dry roads but quite skittish for wet surface plus their wear rate was quite high (although maybe that was the compound I was using). The only negative for the 21's is when I go on circuit and the track dries out and they start to overheat and become greasy. I've usually moved to slicks well before then anyway and have never experienced the problem in on normal roads.

HTH

Nick

Thanks Nick hope you are having a great trip, shame about the weather. *cool* I am attached to my rims as they are original to the car and have been refurbished, I like the retro look you see. I will go with the 21s and get a price from polley.

I do have a set of minilite 13s with worn 32s on them so might think about getting them powder coated with that company in Brum as they are £20 a wheel and getting a set of 70 profile. perhaps matt black would look cool/retro.

thanks for the info.

Well polley came out as £50 for 13s and £80 for the 14s all plus vat.

Avon ZV3 as fitted to Roadsport are £45.00 inclusive from most high street fitters.

Quite a difference in cost then, so two sets of avons or one Yoko *confused* *confused* *confused*

Camskill suprised me at being as cheap as polley *thumbup*