Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series dry sump .... bigger tank?

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

Now I'm mobile again I'm wary of the damage that oil starvation can do and how quick it can do it, therefore I'm considering swapping to a large "Easy Clean" oil tank in place of the rather limited bell-tank installation. There's a full dry sump conversion available from Caterham that appears to use the Pace Easy Clean tank - I only need to do the tank fitment but have some questions for anyone who's either converted or has fitted the full CC install ....

Does the Easy Clean tank satisfactorily de-aerate the oil or is a small Apollo install (eg. R500) needed?

Is there (or does it need) a filter at the exit of the Easy Clean tank in the same way that there is in the CC bell-tank install? There doesn't appear to be one in the CC photo.

Is the CC supplied tank "BSP" fittings (as per belltank) or is it "-12 JIC" as per standard Pace?

Anything else I should know, apart from only taking passengers with short legs!

Stu.

Sit

why not just add a small tank. The cc bell tank takes 4.5L so if you put a 2L tank in. I run the easy clean tank and it takes about 6.5 L . I run the system for 4 years with no issues. I think it de-aerates

I would be tempted to put a small R500 Apollo

David

Forgive me if I'm mis understanding, but in the mode of failure you had would this not just delay the time it takes to run out, and you won't know that until the pressure drops?

If you're looking to mitigate other issues, the surely the addition of 2 to 3 litres via the small r500 tank as suggested by David would be the way to go...

Edited by - mav on 19 Jul 2012 20:58:59

I see no need for an Apollo with any dry sump install

Any tank will have a perf plate near top for oil to drain through and deaeriate

Also by time oil gets to bottom of tank and outlet any bubbles will have risen to surface.

It does however mean that the taller a DS tank is the better the quantity of oil out the bottom

Mine holds 7.5 ltrs

JJ

• Leadership Team

This has been discussed before - an Apollo will not increase the reserve capacity, it's effectively just pipework. It's a known issue that the system is compromised by the capacity of the belltank and the ability to scavenge - yes my engine failure was due to the scavenge pump but even with it rebuilt it's still a "weak" setup.

Johnty, which Pace tank are you using? 7½ litres sounds good *thumbup* Very little room at the front for a kidney tank due to installing the R500 airbox and pipework.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

.... I've certainly experienced oil starvation on track (way prior to my engine failure) and I know of other "standard" dry-sumped cars that have had the same *confused* Surely a bigger capacity tank would pretty well solve the problem?

Stu.