Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brise Starter Motor

Gary Stone

My starter motor is starting to play up with the dreaded click. I did the relay mod a while back to avoid this. So it must now be the down to the solenoid connections or starter itself in some way.

What i'm trying to decide is whether to go for a rebuild of my starter or is the Brise route the best option.

Lots of stuff in the archives about this, it can be a number of things combined together to cause the symptoms, fixing any one of them can give results leading people to assert that they've identified the problem and assume it will be the same for everyone else:

1. Battery doesn't have enough charge

2. Alternator isn't charging properly

3. Wiring between starter and battery is too hot, or degraded

4. Connections on starter are 'dry'

5. Relay is 'cooked'

6. FIA switch has poor contacts

7. Starter solenoid full of gunk

8. Starter solenoid piston scored/sticky

Oh - and don't kid yourself that a Brise will be a magic-bullet even if your current starter/solenoid are the genuine source of the problem. I was well-impressed with my Brise until it started to suffer from heat over time.

I had a brise starter motor on my rally car, I bought this after major issues with the car not starting when it was hot, after burning a lot of standard starter motors I bought the Brise and yes it did help.

However the brise had to be rebuild a few times (which they did for free to be fair, other than the cost of postage) however its no longer on the car because the actual issue turned out to be the timing belt being not adjusted properly.

Long story short, fix the problem rather than chuck money at something that you hope will fix it as no matter what you use the problem will probably still be there.

My brise starter is now sat on the shelf and is no longer needed, but its for a peugeot gearbox

Thanks for reply's. I have checked all the connections & battery is new.

The click only happens on rare occasion's when it's hot.But never the less it's annoying when it does.

I will probably have it rebuilt, if I can get to & undo the cap head bolt at the back.

I to had the same problem with my Brise, 18 months old and the click returned intermittently...if I pressed the starter button repeatedly it would start.

Phoned Tim at Brise and he sent me a new solenoid the following morning, fitted it problem sorted.

However looking at the two the old plunger seemed to be sticking abit compared to new one, so try rubbing it down with some crocus paper light coating of grease and refit before ordering a new one, which is about £50 delivered

Get a meter and check voltage down each wire to the starter, heat reduces conductivity, " hot" suggests "cooked", suggests first check or even immediately replace main and solenoid feeds.

There is extensive content on BC.

Edited by - anthonym on 19 Jun 2012 23:17:08