Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Broken Throttle Cable

Smithy7

Don't buy a whole cable. Got to a bike shop - I get a lovely stainless cable with Teflon cover for smooth running and a barrel nipple ti match the engine end of the cable. Use a screw terminal at the pedal end (mine is a k-series, other layouts vary). The cable is only a couple of pounds *thumbup*

Inner cable on mine 1.53mm dia - the bike cable is 1.50mm

Steve, Does the stop go in the footwell or in the pedal box?

Ian, If I use the existing sleeve pressumably I can just get a new cable but will it need to be exactly the right length to work and where do I get a screw terminal from?

Ta

Dave

www.venhill.co.uk will sell you all you need to make your own cable and retain the old sheath.

Deffo need a pedal stop - there are delicate parts in the throttle mechanism that you don't want to damage by overstressing.

Pedal stop even more important on clutch cable because you put more force through it.

You'll probably get away with a grub-screw nipple, as suggested, on the throttle cable as you don't put a lot of force through it. If the clutch cable goes though, you'll need to fray the cable beyond the nipple then solder it to make it strong enough.

Thank you all for your replies.

The cable had snapped when I was collecting it from the garage after having some work done so left it there for them to fit my spare. When I went to pick up my car this afternoon I mentioned how much the spare cost, £45, so he said 'if you have 5minutes I'll put you a new wire and ends on the old one' and he didn't charge me, Top Man *thumbup*

I will be looking in to fitting stops on both pedals.

Ta

Dave *smile*