Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X-Flow Twin 40 Webers Accelerator Linkage

Greywolf

Whilst travelling at speed on motorway something fell off the car. No noticable change in car steering, handling or performance, however, as I left at the next junction something was amiss with the acceletor pedal and when stationary ideling was faster than normal.

Back at home noted the following: (1) The accelerator pedal is not returning to its correct position once pressed. (2) In between the webers the wire part of the cable is protruding about 15mm above the normal position. (3) The return spring in between the webers is intact and funtioning correctly.

I can not see anything that is missing from the linkage and surronding area. What makes the pedal return to its normal upper position? There must be some spring sytem that returns the pedal but I can not see where or how this is achieved.

Any help and advice will be greatly appriciated.

Steve

Is the outer end of the accelerator cable still seated correctly (at the carb end) in the little bracket?

I had an issue where the cable had pulled out of the little bracket with the result it wasn't seating properly and the engine was idling at about 2000rpm. (Nothing had fallen off mind you, so it might be different in your case.)

Just an addition to 'techbod' ..... If I remember correctly isn’t there a small rod thingy about 5mm diameter and about 10mm long that the carb end of the cable passes through and locates into the linkage assembly at the carb end.

Isn't there a Y shaped peice of metal that the Cable outer casing sits in just below the carbs ? Could be the same thing techbod is talking about. From what I recall its mounted between and maybe onto both carbs. Having said that multiple variations of linkage have been used over the years so anything is possible

Edited by - Graham Perry on 15 May 2012 11:38:39

Thanks to all who gave advice.

Removed the acceleator cable, good clean up, replaced and all was fine. Couldn't spot anything missing and accelerator works good with the revs back to normal.

Two test drives - works perfect. She just need some TLC.

Thankyou, Steve *smile*

Another possible cause is a slight rust/dirt inside the cable sleeve. Mine semi seized and forced the nipple on the end of the sleeve out of the holder on the Y bracket Disconnect and give cable a good clean, oil liberally (not with WD40, It hydroscopic) and refit. Finally use regularly!