Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K click

Andrew Hooper

Sorry to bring this up again, but has anyone got a definitive answer? I am now on my third starter motor. The first was a Magnetox (Died) the second (standard K series)wouldn't disengage, now this one suffers the dreaded K click. I've got a new solenoid, well wrapped in tin-foil which is better but hasn't cured it. I carry a crowbar, but it isn't the best answer. I want to avoid another starter motor if I can. Any suggestions?

There is no definitive answer - there are lots of problems that can cause it. Checking your earths carefully and bypassing the starter relay might be good starting points if you've not done those already. I won't mention Brise at this point.

I suffered the click with a standard K-series starter - although I can't remember if I still had the standard Caterham 4-1 exhaust manifold inside the body or the 4-2-1 tubular Powerspeed one that I have had for 5 yrs or so now.

Did it two or three times, which was two or three times too many, I bypassed the entire Caterham solenoid wiring. New fused live feed direct from battery to a new relay under the scuttle. New wire from start position on the ignition switch to the relay to fire the relay. New wire from relay direct to the starter solenoid. Works every time for the last five years of so, including after petrol stops on auto-routes after long high-revs trips in hot weather (ie hot under bonnet temps) and after enforced several months layoff (last two winters it's been parked for several months outside with not much driving I'm ashamed to say).

Bri

There is no reason for this problem not to be resolved. I have fitted a Powerlite here starter and it works perfectly every time. These guys make their own high torque starters and used to supply Caterham for the K series. They know what they are talking about - suggest you give them a call and they will explain why you get a click - you do not need to rewire other than checking all connections are in good condition and your earth is sound.