Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What type of heater?

Sheds Moderator

I have recently bought a '96 1.4 K supersport. It has no heater, being ex race. I want to fit one but don't want to buy a newbie ex caterham, as i am far too tight. What mass produced cars had the same (or similar) heater? I'm not bothered about some chopping about, and I have access to workshop facilities to make brackets, plates and so on. Any advice will be gratefully received before I get stuck in down at the scrappy.

The desirabiltiy of a heater depends on whether the car is intended as a trackday device between April and September or will be used all the year round on normal roads. Northeners may think southeners soft for driving around with a heater. I reckon it's the only way to get an attractive young lady to ride with you between October and March.

In answer to the question, there must be a few people who have removed this device to save 4Kg on their car. Suggest you post in wanted or in Low Flying.

Do you have the 7th set of louvres in the bonnet? that is the ones on the car centerline close to the wind screen, if your bonnet has those then you can get a heater that can take in air through the top and put it out at the bottom, through the bulkhead. (new tall type)

If you dont have the louvres then you have to have the re-circulating type that (flat old type) that pulls air up from over the transmition tunnel and pushes it back down into the footwell.

You could use this type of heater even if you did have louvres I suppose but I understand the new one is better.

Nick

To answer your question the fugstirrer type of heater (as opposed to fresh air)is very similar to an early land rover unit.

You will have to fabricate the angled side pieces (like a wedge of cheese) but otherwise wil fit straight in, I have done this before.

It also has a slightly bigger matrix.

The best improvement I ever made to cockpit warmth was to ditch the heater and take off the windscreen, the engine heat was then more than enough to heat the car (not being sucked out by airflow).

I would never have a heater or windscreen again.

golf matrix's are easliy available for about 23 quid for a pre 94 one comes with a heater valve as well, would be a good heater depending what fabrication you're willing to do as its all alloy just make up an alloy surround and put some 12v computer fans on.

Thanks gents, in answer to those of you who have expressed incredulity at my fitment of a heater I suggest you visit Northumberland between now and May. It was actually snowing earlier today in Dalwhinnie, only another 100ish miles further north. Bring weather gear and a coat...

Great roads up here, off the camera-infested A1 and A697. Any locals fancying a run out, I'm in Berwick-o-Tweed.

Those of you with heaters which may be for sale, I'll be in touch. Thanks again.

I bought a heater from Vintage Air - an American outfit - they make very compact heaters and a/c systems for hot rods. The "Compac" unit is much smaller than the stock Caterham one and comes with various tubes so that the air can be directed to demist, etc. However, after all this, I decided that it wasn't worth fitting as I prefer the the cold chill down my spine on a windy morning.