Click here if you are having website access problems ×

my first caterham (1700 supersprint)

strongy

*eek*Anybody have any idea about legislation on exhaust noise. Mine has a side exit competition which is v.noisy and ocassionally pops flames *cool*.

PS thanks everyone for replying to my previous questions, I now know how to check the oil in my dry sump, the switch does switch the guage between coolant and oil temp and it would appear that I need to change my alternator.

hi there... i have the same; a noisy flame spitting car.. fun aren't they ? 😬

as far as i'm aware there is no regulation on exhaust noise on the road, although if you drove around without a silencer i'm sure someone would do something about it.

however, if and when you go on trackdays you might have a problem. depending on the type of silencer you have you will either need to

- buy a new one, preferably a re-packable version or

- re-pack the old one if you already have a re-packable silencer.

being reasonably new to all this, and someone may correct me here, i think that if you have a branded silencer, it may well be re-packable. if you haven't, it probably isn't.

j

As one who has recently swapped from a std rear exit exhaust to a techcraft silenced arrangement from Chris at the 7 workshop (blatant promo *thumbup*) my previous exhaust was running at 104db which appeared to be the upper limit for a "noisy" trackday and didn't allow me to go on some of the quieter ones (Silverstone evening session 98db!) but now with my new setup I'm running 98/99db which seems to allow me to get away with everywhere 😬 Seem to remember the bill being in the region of 350-400 squids (will check that though) but it's repackable stainless so will last longer than the car probably.

As it goes from inside the car it doesn't actually sound much quieter *confused* although apparently it the higher pitched notes that give the higher db's and it does sound more meaner as opposed to a screamer *thumbup* and the waaaaaaaa which I took to be inlet roar is still there with avengance.

Gotta love them flames 😬

Buckingham Massive doing it in flares...

Edited by - jaseb on 19 Oct 2002 09:49:22

I am not sure about the noise issue on the road, however the noise could attract an over jealous or bored traffic cop to look at your exhaust connections, my old supersprint had a 4 into 1 manifold that leaked like hell when cold, now that could be a defective exhaust ! "thats £30 you owe us sir !!"

Cheers

Glenn