Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stick on Number Plates

sicsr

*arrowup* In answer to your question I am a retired police officer but never served in the traffic police. I am not claiming to be an expert or a smart ass. I am only giving my personal opinion (as we all are) as to the legality of stick on number plates.

Regarding Section 3a it refers to “Fixing of front registration plates”. When it refers to “registration plates” it means the legal definition of “registration plates” not what you, I or Joe Public may consider to be a “registration plate”, as I have said earlier, I do not believe a stick on number plate meets that legal definition.

As for “Vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,” this covers the rear plate which on a 7 is at a slight angle but not the front plate as Caterham have fitted the plates under the grill proving that it is “reasonably practicable” to fit them verticaly and there is no functional reason why they cannot be fitted in such a position.

In my previous posts I have given my opinion and reasons why I believe stick on plates are illegal. If you disagree with my opinion that’s fine, if you have one that’s fine with me. If you wish to purchase a stick on plate then browse “stick on number plate” you will find that these are now being treated by the traders as “an under the counter item” produced outside the UK and not for sale in say Halfords ... which sort of gives weight to my point of view?

We all like to personalise our 7's myself included but so as not to test “reasonableness”, “shades of grey”, the knowledge of your MOT tester or your average copper, I’d go for a registration plate from an authorised trader.

Edited by - oldbuffer on 10 Mar 2012 14:21:51

*arrowup* *arrowup* Interesting; thank you. Truth be told, I recognise that those of us with stick-on plates are “winging” it. My contention was that the law as quoted in my reference seemed to be no guide at all due to “reasonableness”. So some of us give ourselves the benefit of what we see as doubt. Dodgy, I know…

There is nothing in the regs that say a stick on plate could never be legal. The problems are that none are made that meet the required standard and that Caterham have proved that there is an almost vertical mounting point just below the grill.

Personally I don't like the look of stick on plates and think that Caterham should flatten the lower edge of the nose cone to make fixing more secure.

Why worry? I've lost several "legal" front plates over the years to speed humps so now I keep the last broken specimen in the boot in case a nice Mr Plod ever questions me why I don't have a front number plate. I don't like to mount it higher as it blocks air to the oil cooler. Since I've never been stopped I haven't been able to check the theory.

Perhaps you could kee a broken plate in the boot and use stick-on numbers as your "reserve"?