Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Won't Start

RodW

Car is 2001, 1.8 K De Dion. Tried to start it this morning; ignition light came on, usual short buzz/whirring noise as fuel pump primes, but then on further turn of ignition key only a small click - starter not turning at all. On subsequent attempts no buzzing/whirring, just small click and nothing from starter.

Car has not been run for a couple of weeks, but there is life in battery (headlamps light and battery charger only showing 2 amp charge rate when connected). Inertia cutout switch is in correct position.

Any advice on likely cause or where/how to begin looking much appreciated - sun is shining at the moment! ☹️

RGW

If you do a search on the site you'll find this is common on Ks.

First up get the battery on charge just in case.

Then you'll need to give all electrical connections on the starter a damn good clean and refit.

Have a search on the site though as there's plenty more info than that (something to do with the solenoid).

Thanks to all so far.

ECU fuse was blown and have replaced it with a 25 amp (why if 20 is too low do Caterham fit it? Do Ineed to look for the cause of the fuse blowing in the first place?)

Unfortunately, car still does not start - fuel pump starts up but starter does nothing - on turning the key all I get is a click.

RGW

There are lots of threads on starter problems. Suggest you try a search. Most however seem to be when car is hot.

30 amp fuse is now a caterham recommended upgrade, so suggest this is a must.

As a start, why not connect the solenoid to a length of wire and touch this to the positive battery terminal. This will tell you whether starter is at fault or not.

Make sure ignition on and in neutral. *thumbup*

If starter works, start looking at connections in wiring. If starter doesn't work, start looking for new starter or repair.

Paul R.

C7PPR

K series that starts when hot!!

As just about everyone has said, waggle the wires on the solenoid. This has happened on both the k-series cars I've had, and It's doing it on my superlight now (and my LR Discovery where the starter is a nightmare to get out!!!) A right pain in the a*se!!!

Once you know what to waggle, it's not so much a problem.