Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter solenoid connections

Roger Ford

Just fitting a new Brise starter motor.

There are two big screw connections on the solenoid, and one small one. The small one is obviously for the switch feed from the starter relay.

Are the two big ones linked together, so one goes to the battery/FIA switch, and the other to the alternator, or is one live and the other earth? Or, to put it another way, does the solenoid earth through it's own case and the engine, or does it have an earth strap all of it's own? I can't remember quite what the old one had when I took it off several months ago.

Is it one of these? I know that when I collected mine they changed the solenoid connection to a spade for me, but I don't remember having three connections in total. My battery feed and alternator are on the large connection with the nut (in the pic above). There's no earth.

*smile*

If that was a separate solenoid I'd say that the two big lugs are the two terminals of a single pole switch and the small one the +12V actuator connection, with the frame/case being the actuator ground. Its not clear from the photo but does one of the terminals already have a cable connected that disappears into the back end of the starter motor or is there a cable from the starter that's looking for somewhere to go? If so I'd connect the heavy battery/alternator cable to the other large lug.

The Brise website describes the PRG motor as having an external solenoid so that the body can be rotated for clearance so I suspect the above may be correct.

Yes, the right hand lug on the photo has a cable connected to the motor itself.

Edit: yes, that makes sense. The solenoid is effectively a switch or relay, right, and so it needs an output of the same sort of size as the input. Whereas a more integrated solenoid/starter combo might have an internal connection, this one's external to allow for rotation.

Thanks for clarifying.

Edited by - Roger Ford on 11 Jan 2012 09:33:04

Roger, apologies for this being a day late!

The big terminal that has the short cable going into the back of the starter, leave alone.

The other big terminal you connect to the live feed from the back of your cutout switch.

The small terminal between those big two is the 12v supply from your starter relay (mine is coloured white with a red tracer, but yours may have a different colour).

Hope this helps.

Er, no! I just have one of the heavy cables from the cutout switch direct onto the solenoid connector. If you blatmail me your email address, I can send you a photo of my starter connections. Can't work out how to post pics in here *confused*