Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing heater casing?

Ozzy

I have, what I think is the earlier type heater casing (97 car), and need to remove the heater for maintenance.

There are 2 brackets at each end in the engine bay, but is it fixed anywhere else, as I can't see any other fixings, but it still appears to be held somewhere.

Am I missing something?

OZ

If it is the old style - flat and large! Then once you have removed the 4 bolts/screws use a pry bar/screwdriver and gently lever it up. The angled sides at each end sit on a piece of foam to make the heater airtight to the scuttle base and the heater can get stuck on the foam.

Ozzy,

sorry I think we were at cross purposes on heater types. I thought you referring to the old style heater (as modelled here, in the Caterbram 2 folder, courtesy of Chris Bramall) . This type has 4 tabs, 2 at the front and 2 at the back to attach it to the flat surface forward of the scuttle.

Edited by - Clousta on 3 Jan 2012 19:57:12

Ozzy,

Found this picture on the net

here

You can just see the LHS fixing into the vertical bulkhead, right on the edge of the black heater as the screw is silver. There is another one on the opposite side obscured by the red hoses.

There are also two screw fixings into the horizontal bulkhead possibly obscured by wires or hoses. One is adjacent to the ECU and the other next to the exposed bit of steering column. IIRC there is a square bit of plastic jutting out either side on the heater about 1" by 1.5" and the screw is in the bottom of that.

Hope that helps.

Ian

Nigel - there are 4 little prise-out plastic pins on each side of the outer part of the heater casing - just prise each one out with a flat screwdriver under the head.

Then there are two cross head screws on each side of the inner casing . one down into the horizontal shelf and one at the top into the vertical bulkhead.

Thanks Guy's,

I had a look last night, and figured out some of the problem! I have the 2 fixings on the deck (the little cup shaped brackets), but the vertical part is not screwed as per Ians picture. I could just see the rivnut fixings at the side of the casing, but obviously they were never used! Didn't know about the plastic pins though, so I'll look again.

One of the cup shaped brackets is broken, and neither CC or Clayton have such a thing, hence I thought I'd remove the heater, and see what else I could do. Still thinking about that one though!

Ozzy,

I've the same heater and one of the cup brackets broke off ages ago, so the heater is held by the remaining bracket and by the two self tappers (that you haven't used in yours) into the bulkhead....it ain't going anywhere *smile* and I doubt it would even if (when) the other cup dissapears *eek*, and the cup brackets are irreparable, by the way.

Paul