Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anti-roll bar bolts

Roger Ford

Anyone know the size of the bolts for front anti-roll bar on an imperial chassis?

About to put a Namrick order in and I thought I ought to get some of these - they get undone a lot and also it would be handy to have spares because it's not unknown for people to lose them (from forgetting to tighten them after changing ARB).

I don't know the size but you are likely to need 3/8 UNF, 5/16 UNF or 1/4 UNF. These have 9/16, 1/2 and 7/16 heads, respectively. The first 2 are most likely. I don't know about lengths, but that's the easy bit to fix with a hacksaw and a file.

IMO one of the best investments anyone can make with a 7 is a selection of fasteners in the above sizes and a few metrics to match. It makes maintenance so much easier when that ratty fastener that you've had to brutalise to get apart can be tossed in the bin and a new one screwed in easily by hand.

Thanks, AP.

Boss, I've always kept a good selection of metric fasteners, and I have been wondering whether to try to get a UNF selection as well.

The "Mixed UNF pack" from Namrick has been hovering in and out of my basket. But I'm rather afraid that will have lots of not-useful sizes. Perhaps you're right and I should just pick my own selection in various sizes.

TBH if I were you I would buy the Namrick selection pack. 450 for £16, good enough. The most popular sizes on our cars are the ones I name above and they will cover most eventualities. I would imagine that 80% of that box will be those 3 sizes. It's the UNF answer to M5, 6 and 8, it covers almost all general fasteners on light vehicles.

I find spare fasteners essential, I wouldn't be without mine. One thing I do find is how fast they go down, especially if you are making something. You may have 50 x M6 nuts and bolts, use a couple here and there and...oh. Run out. I'll have to use an M5 and a washer.