Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DO I NEED A HEATER ?

TIM 5O

I guess this ultimately depends on whether the driver is an hard man or a soft man. But I think one important part of the op’s first post has perhaps received insufficient attention. I refer of course to the telling phrase, “I would not like to put off Wifey wanting to go out in it”. Is this to be taken for real, or is it more Freudian/ironic?

I am going to assume the former. In that case, I think there is huge psychological advantage to be had from making it clear to SWMBO that the heater has not been taken out, whether it actually gets used or not. A bit like that bit on the aircraft where they ask you to check that your lifejacket is actually under your seat. You may not need or want to use it, but by golly, there is some comfort in knowing it is there.

Having said that, I myself assumed, having felt the great heat wafting back from a rented Sigma, that my new Duratec would be horrendously hot in the footwell and that a heater, though specified, would be pretty much de trop. In fact, not so - Duratec 175, or mine at any rate, less hot inside than the rented Sigma 125, and heater makes it quite cosy when the ambient temperature drops. And SWMB does ask me from time to time to open the heater valve. Admittedly it's usually after I have harnessed myself into the 'impossible to reach it' position, but that's married life! So – given that I tour rather than sprint - I wouldn’t remove mine.

Duratec 175, or mine at any rate, less hot inside than the rented Sigma 125

I think this may be because Caterham fit reflective heat insulation to the foot well ends on Duratec cars but there wasn't any on my Sigma car. The black powder coated panels are perfect for absorbing the heat from the exhaust.

I put some heat shield on my car, and I have to say I find the heater invaluable. All of my passengers have requested the heater be put on, mainly I suspect that with the right hand exhaust the passenger side is now colder.

Duncan

I'm not an expert, all I know is I saw the heat shield on a car at the factory and when I asked about it, I was told "we do that on the Duratec cars". My November 2010 Sigma didn't have any fitted, so I bought some off Ebay.

Interesting answers and I have to say not what I was expecting

thanks for the replies

I confess to being a softy as I sorn each winter

but not soft enough for anything more than a half hood

But I think I will wait another year before looking at the heater again

regarding the wifey - no I was not being freudian - she is a big reason why I was able to get a Caterham in the first place *biggrin*

Selling the Caterham - any amendments I make are never with the view of selling the car took me too long to get and over the last couple of years was hard to justify to many SWMBO -but not mine so no way -only car I would buy - Linds 🥰