Click here if you are having website access problems ×

3rd brake light issue just before mot!

Old Caterhamian

Mot tomorrow and checking the lights, found that the 3rd brake light mod i did a few weeks ago has an issue. Used caterham loom, but when side lights are on and brake applied all the drivers side rear brake and side lights fail to iluminate. When side lights are off, no problem all 3 brake lights work.

Help.

Andrew F

Hi Ian, thought you might be monitoring the blatwaves. Just finished puttting it all back together and they work now. *thumbup*

Good, but worrying. Not sure if it's a loose wire and have moved it, or I have just tightened up what was loose. *confused*

Just need to pass MOT tomorrow, then I will keep an eye out for any loose wires over winter.

Andrew F

If you haven't sealed the drain holes in the top of the lenses with a spot of silicone sealant, and hacksawed a slot in the underside face of each lens, then you will get a build up of moisture inside the light units, which corrodes lampholders and the strands of the earth wire in that screw terminal. You have probably cut through the corrosion when retightening this screw.