Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mid end torque or top end power?

craigyb

I'm having some verniers fitted this coming thursday, with rolling road before and after.

The car is used for touring, track days and will be doing some sprinting next year.

Question is, should I go for more mid range torque or more top end power? 😶‍🌫️

When I had my verniers fitted to my "K" by DVA.

I was informed that it would not really affect the top end power.

Getting the timing spot on increases the torque which generally means an improvement in the pick up and driveability.

A worthwhile upgrade *thumbup*

Edit to add. Look forward to hearing the before and after.

Edited by - Dignity on 5 Nov 2011 12:00:58

• Area Representative

I'd go for mid end torque and better driveability. Having top end power is all well and good if you are flat out everywhere but in reality you have to slow for corners and having better torque as you come off the bend/corner is going to be better I reckon.

Nick

If the cams are *correctly* timed they will give the best in the mid range withoiut affecting top end power. Badly timed cams give a push at the top and very little mid range, this is the characreristic 'kick' at the top end you sometimes get with Supersports when the cams are madly, wildly, ridiculously timed. The kick may disappear when the cams are properly timed, this is not becuase you are losing anything at the top, but simply because the transition from mid range to high is better as there is a lot more torque lower down.

Oily

your not going to have any choice between mid range torque and top end power, the cams will either be timed to get the optimal performance from the cams or they are not. unless you have a change of cam, induction length change and reprogrammable ecu you can't change the engines characteristics.

time the cams to those settings on oilys pages and don't bother with the rolling road as it won't provide anything except a big bill.

I changed the cams on my Vx to a version which was quoted as improving power from around 170bhp to 190. With the addition of a more efficient exhaust my power readings went from 169 bhp at 5900 to 192 at 6100. Torque also increased but was higher in the rev range. However, on the road I can say I do not really notice the increase in top end power, but I DO notice a reduction in power below around 3000rpm, so it is not always a winning situation getting more power where you seldom use it. Type of use has a big bearing on the matter and as mine is only used on the road, I would probably have been better off leaving the standard cams in.

Big power outputs sound impressive but low and mid-range torque and good driveability account for more on the road. Having said that my Vx is still a pretty impressive engine and mid-range torque is good by most standards, and I would not call it a peaky engine as the cams chosen still use the hydraulic lifters, and required no alterations to the pistons.

All in all I am happy with the setup.

Isn't Torque a better measure of power, as people think of it, than power?

From the way I've read it described, Torque is about the amount of shove/grunt the engine has, and power is about how quickly it can apply that shove?

So for high top speed you need more power, but for better acceleration you need more torque...

Is that right?

Quoting irrotational: 
Isn't Torque a better measure of power, as people think of it, than power?

From the way I've read it described, Torque is about the amount of shove/grunt the engine has, and power is about how quickly it can apply that shove?

So for high top speed you need more power, but for better acceleration you need more torque...

Is that right?

Makes sense to me. I'd always opt for more torque over power any day for driving on the road.

Car's been on the rolling road this morning.

1.6ss, powerspeed 4-2-1 and the throttle body wedge removed and holes filled.

110 lb/ft @6300 rpm

and 153 bhp indicated on rolling road (110 at the wheels). Chap in garage reckons it reads 6 BHP high.

Verniers now being fitted and will go back later and see what difference that makes on the rolling road.

Quite impressed at original readings, so not expecting too much

Quite impressed at original readings, so not expecting too much

I've been meaning to write in to Evo mag and moan about their astonishment every time they put one of their cars on the rollers and find that the measured BHP exceeds the manufacturers claims.

Might well be true, but I understood them to be notoriously-hard to objectively calibrate for absolute readings - relative readings (i.e. before/after or Car A/Car B figures) being about all they were really good for.

Oh - and having one seven with max power at max revs - and another (bike engined 7) which doesn't, I'd go for the mid-range torque in the future.

The only nice thing about the max-power-at-max-revs thing is that I can impose a rev-limit (and therefore a power limit) should the gf ever want to start driving the car... *biggrin*

I've been meaning to write in to Evo mag and moan about their astonishment every time they put one of their cars on the rollers and find that the measured BHP exceeds the manufacturers claims.

If you were a manufacturer serious about fettling a car to be reviewed in a high profile test, would it be in your interests for the car to be below what you quote?