Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Type 9 Gearbox Mounting

David Mirylees

Just refitting my type 9 gearbox after a rebuild and see that the Caterham supplied (universal) gearbox mounting is not symmetrical - there is a higher metal and rubber on one side compared to the other.

If this part is actually correct - which way round does it need to be?

I also see on the Caterham parts web pages that they sell a "Spacer-Gearbox Mount". Does anyone know what this is for and whether it is required for a type 9?

Cheers, David

Doh! RTFQ as my teacher used to say *redface*

Now I'm on the same wavelength (having looked at Caterham's site), I don't recall using a spacer on the gearbox mount. I'm pretty sure I just bolted the rubber and metal mount to the chassis, but I'm sure I bolted the mount to the gearbox first so that should give an indication as to which way round it goes?

Now it starts to get ever more confusing!!

Caterham tell me that the higher face should be on the engine side but two knowledgable owners say the opposite (one of which contacted me offline and mentioned that he had to turn the mount thro' 180° to get everything to fit)(thanks Niclas for the input).

As an engineering designer, I can see the merits of the lower face facing the engine but it gnaws at me that Caterham say otherwise...ho humm...

Well, there's nothing in the '95 vintage build manual that suggests which way around the mount should go. I suspect its asymmetry might be a hang over from when its used in the Ford car from which it comes. I've always had mine fitted as described above without any problems and I doubt it matters so long as the metal doesn't touch anything it shouldn't.

As far as CC advice is concerned, they couldn't even tell us the correct spark plug gap for a factory supplied Duratec the other day *rolleyes*

I find it easier to fit the single 12mm bolt through the mount and into the gearbox than fiddling around with the 2 small gearbox mount bolts. Earlier chassis had a hole through which the head of a 12mm cap screw wouldn't pass but this is easy to enlarge.

Bit of lateral thinking - I couldn't recall ordering a new gearbox mount when I replaced the 2000E box with the type 9, so yesterday I ordered a Lotus Elan mount ('cos it's either a 2000E or very similar) it arrived today and it is identical to the old one. It is almost identical to the Caterham item but has the lower metal face on both sides!

That solves that problem...