Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help with Diff on Saturday near Chelmsford

Rj52car

Hello,

We are building a 1.4 Classic and are ready to put the diff in.

There are plenty of other jobs to keep us busy so were wondering if anyone would like to help us with the Diff on Saturday ? (I understand that asking if someone would 'like' to fit a diff is an oxymoron).

We can offer tea, coffee, biscuits, cakes etc ... bacon sandwiches maybe ?

For anyone who knows the area, we're between Chelmsford and Ongar near the Cuckoo pub.

Hugh (age 13) and Philip (age more than 13)

I hope you get a volunteer to help - for me this was without doubt the worst part of the build experience ☹️ Is it the BMW diff or the Sierra unit? If it is the Sierra one make sure you screw in each bolt beforehand to make sure they go in - the holes in mine were full of crud and needed to be cleaned out with a tap - not the best thing to discover once you actually have it in place *rolleyes*

Hello MOC2CV,

We ordered a 1.4 and after a couple of months waiting I wondered about changing to 1.6.

It turns out that all the 1.6K engines have gone, so if someone orders a 1.6 K, Caterham swap the pistons and liners of a 1.4.

Is that really all there is to it ?

I'm glad it went well for you *smile*

I spent today removing my noisy diff and replacing it with the help of my wife and daughter. I remember thinking as I fitted the first time, "hope I never have to do this again!"

I hope yours stays put for many years *smile*

Duncan