Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where to buy Bilstein Damper Bushes?

New Cat

I have the classic bottom bolt stuck in the damper bush issue on my 1994 x-flow and am wondering about the best way to proceed. A number of the options seem likely to shred or destroy the bush.

I'm planning to call Redline in the morning but wandered whether any of you have recently successfully sourced a bush and if so where from.

Many thanks,

Jon

Oddly, I have a similar predicament, as I was going to make a start on widetracking and replacing dampers today but instead ended up working. I've skimmed the assembly guides (both Sigma and K-series) and I think the sleeves are of dimensions 5/16" ID x 1/2" OD x 32 mm, which is basically 8mm ID. I think they be these.

Quoting Mankee: 
Oddly, I have a similar predicament, as I was going to make a start on widetracking and replacing dampers today but instead ended up working. I've skimmed the assembly guides (both Sigma and K-series) and I think the sleeves are of dimensions 5/16" ID x 1/2" OD x 32 mm, which is basically 8mm ID. I think they be these.

These should be in the box that I gave you at Santa Pod Mankee ????

It seems there are 2 sleeves inside the front damper bottom eyelet rubber bush, an inner aluminium one (which I now have) and an outer steel one (which I don't have).

Have any of you been able to source an outer steel sleeve for the bush? Sounds like we could get one made but an off the shelf one will clearly be much more cost effective.

Thanks!

Jon

I spent yesterday stripping down a spare pair of front Bilsteins (thanks Colin!) to rob the bump stops and aluminium sleeves for future use and I remember the outer steel sleeve being fixed, as noted by Elie. I was using a press and some sockets to remove the aluminium inners. If you need two of the lower bushes and sleeves then I could have a go at removing them for you?

Thanks guys, your offer/s would save a lot of aggro 😬

I only need one side (lower eyelet rubber bush with metal outer insert for the smaller sized Bilstein which use 1.9ID springs), the other side came undone very cleanly. I have the inner aluminium sleeve which seems the right size.

Could you pm me your details and what you would like in exchange *smile*

Jon

I don't want anything in exchange, but if you do decide to give a few squid to NtL then please acknowledge Colin (Dignity above) who gave me his old dampers. If Elie is unable to fix your problem, drop me a line and I'll see if I can help out. *smile*

How on earth are you supposed to fit the rubber bushes? I managed to get the old one out with lots of swearing, a vice, several sockets and a hacksaw, but I can't figure out how to put the new one in. I've greased the damper bottom and heated the rubber, and I'm trying to push it in with a socket. But one side goes in and the other stays obsitinately out.

It's possible with a vice, you need a few Belgian beers to do it 😬

on a more sober note *wink*, to press the new bush in you use a bit of WD40 or the like and press against the metal bush but when the bush is nearly home you will need to " play " a bit with the damper in a sort of circle.