Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Jenvey throttle linkage bracket. Which one

Drumster

I've just converted a Vx and thought and heard the Jenvey offerings were complicated (some say prone to jamming) and expensive so opted for the SBD 'push' not 'pull' idea which is both extremely simple and cheap, I used the existing cable outer with a bike cable inner, not much used yet but seems very good and apparently a similiar system has been used by others (hill climbers) in the past to good effect.

I agree with Peter. I have the under linkage and it's horrible to fit, difficult to adjust.

In fact it's a bit of a bodge in my opinion.

Did see a nice linkage on the Duratec engine that Northampton Motorsport brought to the last L7 Curborough Sprint.

Tony.

Although I haven't used either myself, having seen Lee's I would opt for the 'over' version for the reason given by Peter.

The problem with the extremely simple SBD solution is that the throttle opening, particularly at light throttle, is too abrupt and, with a very responsive engine, can make it uncomfortably jerky in traffic. The Jenvey 'star' lever on the TB has a long and a short arm but neither is optimum and the rate is very variable with throttle angle. I made up a snail cam to make the opening progressive and smooth. The result is a very docile and tractable car for about the first 20% of throttle and then all hell breaks loose 😬. The effective lever radius goes from about 60mm at closed to 35mm fully open. The Jenvey linkage is not quite as progressive but is a lot better than the simple SBD arrangement which is fine for competition but pretty harsh on the road.

The throttle pedal end mod that Lee refers to was designed by Bob Simon and allows the cable to leave the pedal box at about 30deg downwards so that the cable avoids the airfilter and is not sharply bent where it comes into contact. This, again, leads to a much smoother throttle and helps prevent kangarooing at light throttle.

Paul

edited to correct effective radii.

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 26 Oct 2011 11:55:45

Yes, that's the one. It replaces the large thimble insert that acts as the cable outlet from the pedal box. The cable comes up at 30deg to the horizontal and the inner passes over a pulley, then going horizontally to the top of the pedal rod. I've had mine in the car for a couple of years and it works a treat.

As I say, it was designed by Bob Simon and I have made a couple. If you blatmail me with your email address I'll email some pics.

If you give me a couple of days I'll try to put a package of photos and sketches together, ready to email out. They are quite time consuming to make in small quantities but, with big enough demand, could be made from injection moulded nylon or glass loaded nylon. However, I'm pretty sure the tooling cost would be prohibitive.

Anyone interested can blatmail their email address and I'll sent the package out when its ready.

Paul

I used the standard Caterham cable, routed down under the air box, and up to the throttle bodies, using, I think, the standard mounting bracket secured to the air filter backplate, and a modified standard Jenvey arm with a cut- off BL throttle cable cam/cable guide welded to it. No problems with sticking or jerkiness in operation - even strangers manage to drive it with no particular care.

If I remember, I'll see if I have any photos of it - can't take any on an evening as it's dark and the car lives outside.

Bri